Photo

Fall of Saigon: Where were you on April 30th, 1975?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 flytiger

flytiger
  • Members
    • Member ID: 126,385
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:01 PM

Well here it is 44 years later!  It was a sad day for me those many years ago and it is still today. Was it a surprise? No it was not. I had left Saigon on 14 April 75 after 3 fun filled weeks flying between TSN and VPPN

Phoum Pehn. I had watched the NVA come further South every day. Got close enough on a no fly day to see artillery shells decimating the Vietnamese Airborne at Xaun Loc. Yes the handwriting was on the wall when I left. The day it was announced that Saigon was gone and with it SVN I sat there with a guy that had come out with me and we were mainly silent. What could we say.

#52 Rakkasan187

Rakkasan187
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,554
  • 5,798 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 06:09 AM

Flytiger,,

I was just a young boy when the city fell, but I will never forget the images on TV.. My Uncle flew C-7 Caribou's and Tarhee helicopters during his 7 tours in VN...

Thank you for your service...

Leigh

#53 SGT CHIP SAUNDERS

SGT CHIP SAUNDERS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 225,108
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 01:34 PM

On the beautiful sandy ( Then !) beach in San . Diego . with my brand new bride !  No job, no worries ,My 750 BMW running great!

Bike long gone, my bride still with me .      When I left  in ''69 and 70 we were still  winning .    When we heard, I  was surprised

it had taken so long .       USMC 68 -72

#54 USARV72

USARV72
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,975
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 01:58 PM

At work, knew it was coming. Daughter was a month old , plenty to take care of, lol.
Really PO’ed, most “LNs” just didnt care, seemed whatever. The ARVNs I worked with there were worried, some of them really apreciated what we did for them. Gave a Lt. my Gerber fighting knife, some VC or NVA has it now...)~:

#55 JBFloyd

JBFloyd
  • Members
    • Member ID: 293
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:29 PM

I see I posted my duty title in an earlier post a few years ago:  Chief of Targets, 432nd Reconnaissance Technical Squadron, Udorn Royal Thai Air Force Base.

I was running a team of photo interpreters and target analysts who were reading out drone imagery (from the Ryan Firebee, or "Bug") and reporting our findings to various headquarters.  We'd been watching the NVA coming south for some time. The Vietnamese Marines and Airborne troops would be holding up fairly well, but the ARVN would usually collapse and head for the hills, leaving the Marines and Airborne with exposed flanks, so they'd have to fall back and re-establish a line of defense further south.  We also tracked an SA-2 coming south on the Ho Chi Minh Trail, knowing that when it came within range of the Saigon airspace it would be lights out. The NVA got there first, but not by much.

The image of the T-54 pushing through the gates of the Presidential Palace is well known, but somewhere I still have an image of another T-54 parked across the street from the main gate of Tan Son Nhut (where I spent my first SEA tour, in 71-72). That tank was parked directly in front of the "Magic Fingers" massage parlor.  

A few weeks earlier, we had built photo maps for the US Marines going into Phnom Penh for Operation Eagle Pull and a few weeks later we were looking for the crew of SS Mayaguez and trying to locate the guns in the tree-line on Koh Tang Island.

When I think of those days, I think of the very junior guys in my branch (mostly E-3 and E-4), who worked under tremendous pressure and produced top notch analysis and reporting.

#56 gomorgan

gomorgan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 75,820
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 05:29 PM

Hoping calls on the 4 to 12 shift, when I got home and walked across the patio my neighbor a 23rd ID engineer told me to grab a beer.  He came over and told me, so we just sat there and knocked down a few.

#57 pmanton

pmanton
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,488
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:56 AM

My RVN Days behind me I was at Ft. Lewis WA getting close to retirement filled with sadness and bitterness.

#58 BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria
  • Members
    • Member ID: 52,765
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:09 PM

waiting to be born 7 days later!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users