Fall of Saigon: Where were you on April 30th, 1975?

gwb123

1SG_1st_Cav

I was finishing my BS degree at Cameron University in Lawton, OK. I was selected to finish my degree

with a fully-funded under the old Enlisted Degree Completion Program. Only approximately125 enlisted

were selected each year. I had to give the Army 4 years in return for the 2-year scholarship.

This program was discontinued in 1976 or 1977.

4th Finance Company, Ft Carson Colorado on alert! The whole 4th Infantry Division was marshaling at the rail yards to go back to Vietnam.

I was a Lance Corporal on guard duty at Marine Detachment HQ-CINCLANT (Headquarters, Commander In Chief Atlantic Fleet) Norfolk, Virginia

Heard sitting in the day room at Hq Co 1/83 FA Baumholder West Germany. In the room were a number of senior NCO's and Officers who were shaking their head in dis-belief.

elementary school.

Use to watch the ABC evening news every night at 5pm with Harry Reasoner and Howard K Smith.Viet Nam live and in color.Kept looking to see if my cousin would appear in footae(wishful thinking of a kid).My best buddies brother in law was in the UDT and we played with the gear then.

Reasoner had been a local boy at one time.May still have a relative or two around.Some cousins I recall.

Robswashashore

Freshman at Marquette University. It was discussed in great detail in my History class that afternoon.

8th grade at Saline Middle School. I remember watching it on TV. The original stairs are at the Gerald R. Ford Museum in Grand Rapids Michigan if you get a chance to check them out.

Bob

Ironically, that is the day I signed a contract with the US Army ROTC that later led to my commission.

It was not planned that way. It was a decision I had been contemplating after taking the first two years of courses.

I can only wonder what my parents thought that night when I gave them the news at the dining room table, on top of the headlines that Saigon had fallen.

Garandomatic

Slightly OT, as I wasn't born yet in '75, but on THIS 4/30, I got a call from a sort of long-lost (due to geographic distance) cousin that was a WIA OH-6A pilot, telling me there'll be a few waves of his Vietnam stuff heading my way. I sat down to do some research on his unit (3/4 Cav) and the date hit me.

Wharfmaster

I was on the job and many were disgusted at the news. I remember it well. You had to be there.

Wharf

Same place as normaninvasion...my mom was five months pregnant at the time... :)

m1ashooter

I was a senior in HS just about to graduate. The news said the President would address that nation that evening. I had a sense of dread that we were going to go in and that I would get caught up in the war. When he announced that we weren't going to return to SVN I felt relieved but then thought what was this worth. Why did we loose all of these men. For what? I still don't have the answer.

I was in Junior High. I remember sitting in my bedroom building a model tank and watching it on the news. I just remember being shocked and angry over the fall.

rrobertscv

I was 14 and I remember how mad it made me, I grew up watching it on the news. I guess what made me so mad was that at least once every 3-4 months I went with my grandfather a WWII veteran to the local V.A. hospital and I remember all the young guys with missing limbs and disfigured bodies. Seemed like they had not only sacrificed, but had been sacrificed.

figment of my parent's imagination.... at least I'd like to think I was. :dry:

My only personal connection to the war is that my dad would drive his friend down to Camp Pendleton to see their relatives who were awaiting immigration processing.

Ft. Lewis WA on my final assignment prior to retirement.

Paul

Salome, AZ