Air Force boots

R.S.

phantomfixer

The WWII A-6 featured the zipper as the only securing device...straps and buckles were added , I think, later in the war and adopted as a standard construction feature...

WWII would have the AAF Hap Arnold star, and the post war post 1947 will have the USAF Hap Arnold star...I think they were redesigned also from A-6 to a S series designation????

I have a pair of the WWII boots that have the zipper and 3 clasps over the zipper and they appear to have been a factory install

from the boots I have handled, it appears the post 1947 soles were changed.....but this could have been a manufacturer difference versus an upgrade or designation change

generally speaking though not much difference besides the Star style

5thwingmarty

The A-6 boots just had the zippers. When they altered the design and added the buckles they became A-6A boots. This was done to try and keep the boots tight enough that they didn't fly off their feet when they baled out and their chutes opened. I have a pair of A-6 boots that were converted to lace-up boots probably for this same reason.

After WWII the boots were redesignated A-1 boots, which were the same design as the A-6A boots. The only differences I have seen were the stamp on the outside and the label on the tongue.

There was also a Navy version of the boots which I believe had dual zippers.

phantomfixer

Navy version had laces up the back side...never understood the dual zip on the navy version or the laces....over engineered??? or quicker to get out of if in water...could be...

pararaftanr2

phantomfixer,

Yes, the Navy M-380 boots were designed to include a "quick release" feature for emergency use in a water (or parachute) landing. For normal donning of the boot, a zipper on the outer side of the instep closed from bottom to top. On the inner side of the boot, another zipper, with a heavy leather lanyard, secured by a snap-fastener, opened from the foot to the top of the ankle, allowing the boot to fall away when it was pulled. The laces at the rear gave the wearer additional means of adjusting the boot's fit. Certainly more complex than the single zip of the A-6, but designed to meet the specific needs of the service's operational environment.

Regards, Paul

Here is a set of pre-war/early war examples of the A6 flight boots. They have an early Kwik zipper made by US Rubber Co. Note the brown and gum rubber soles indicative of early pattern and lack of leather straps and buckles. Also to mention there is no AAF stamping on the leather.

post-112555-0-17555300-1430284999.jpg

post-112555-0-44617100-1430285010.jpg

post-112555-0-13488900-1430285016.jpg

Next is a set of later war A6 converted to A6a type flight boots. Though originally issued without straps many A6's saw modification of the additional straps. As mentioned above this was an attempt to curb the loss of boots in bailout. I have seen both examples like this one which were modified and also examples of factory produced tagged A6a's. Note the AAF stamp on the side of the boot. The soles on these tend to be a black rubber with similar tread pattern as the earlier models. Often the soles are found rock hard with age.

post-112555-0-06331500-1430285336.jpg

post-112555-0-45520200-1430285341.jpg

post-112555-0-83144400-1430285346.jpg

And lastly here are a set of postwar/Korean war A1 flight boots. After the war the nomenclature was switched to A1. Though incredible similar to the A6a's there are some easy to spot distinctions. Both the A6a's and A1 seem to share similar large tooth Crown zippers and general construction with straps and buckles. Differences seem to be a gusseted tongue in the A1's whereas the A6/A6a's have separated tongues. The A1's also have a noticeably different sole and tread pattern. Also the A1's are marked U.S. Air Force (in decal not stencil) instead of Army Air Force.

post-112555-0-01670500-1430285835.jpg

post-112555-0-38475900-1430285842.jpg

post-112555-0-16711100-1430285848.jpg

phantomfixer

Those are very nice boots......are they oiled? very clean... I wear mine at times around the house...wife hates it...they make great slippers

Ha, that is great. I'm sure they would make great slippers.

I keep my leathers lightly oiled with 100% pure lanolin. It is the only thing I use on all my leathers vintage or modern. Believe it or not Alaska is very dry (especially in winter) and it is a bit of work to keep humidity up. The little bit of oil goes a long way in preservation.

phantomfixer

My pair is not as mint as yours..... no harming them...

is the lack of humidity cause concern for your sheepskin?

Great opportunity to wear some of your WWII cold weather gear.....in Alaska...

Yeah, I have an original D-1 that I break out occasionally in midwinter. I also have a couple of repros (B3&B6) I like to wear. Feel better about wearing repros than originals.

About the humidity (or lack thereof), I would not consider it a concern but something to be vigilant of. I have several of the white (raw) sheepskin garments that have never received an oiling (as it would affect the finish irreparably) and they seem to be doing just fine without oiling.

• 2 weeks later...
hbtcoveralls

One other difference that I haven't seen mentioned, is that the WWII boots were made to be worn without a shoe inside. This made walking any distance a problem. For this reason combat aircrews sometimes carried service shoes in case of a bailout Escape/evasion situation. The Postwar boots were sized to fit over service shoes and the nomenclature changed to "overshoes".

Tom Bowers

littlebuddy

One other difference that I haven't seen mentioned, is that the WWII boots were made to be worn without a shoe inside. This made walking any distance a problem. For this reason combat aircrews sometimes carried service shoes in case of a bailout Escape/evasion situation. The Postwar boots were sized to fit over service shoes and the nomenclature changed to "overshoes".

Tom Bowers

Good point !! somthing i had not noticed before :o

• 2 months later...

I have a pair of original A6 boots but one with a Crown zip missing, does anyone know how much a replacement zip would roughly cost?

littlebuddy

I have a pair of original A6 boots but one with a Crown zip missing, does anyone know how much a replacement zip would roughly cost?

Might be worth keeping a look out on Ebay , as there are often some really beat up past repair ,pairs of A6's that come up on there !

My A6 have the crown zipper too IIRC but the soles are like rock !!!