cal 50 ammo box ww2 & question

PinkGoatsArmy

PinkGoatsArmy

Hi friends,

let me show you mi m2 ammunition box made by Belmont, my question is why in these example the bullets are packed in cartons and not in link as usual? is there a specific reason (for example USAAF furnitures)?

Thanks for your reply

post-154044-0-04444000-1430168979.jpg

mikes militaria

I've seen many pictures of Sailors/ Marines making belts on ship in route to where they were going. They could send more ammo in less boxes that way. Based on the pictures I've seen that's the conclusion I've come up with. Just a thought

heres a picture of the plant packing cartons of .50 cal ammo each containing 10. these are probably what was in the box at one time... I'd agree with Mike though that seems really like the only reason

I'd like to see some of these boxes though

post-125364-0-86691100-1430187532.jpg

PinkGoatsArmy

thanks for your replies and opinion,

so the reason of pack in cartons was logistic and practice. Does anyone knows if exists boxes only for transport of metal links?

surfing on internet i found this image , this could be the contents of my box...

post-154044-0-94420700-1430251063.jpg

The type of cartridge in your can would have been on the left; however, that box is made by LC and not TW. API was primarily used in aircraft, which I believe in some instances had to be hand loaded in the belts or drums. In other instances you may have a special mission and you would replace cartridges in a belt, i.e. add more tracers, API, etc., depending on the mission; therefore, they shipped them in containers for this purpose. I also, suspect that there were cans of links available too. The links were also provided in boxes, 10 to a package if needed.

mikes militaria

I have a couple card board boxes of links only , 10 to a box. I'm sure they were packaged in a larger container of some sort for shipping. I've never seen a larger shipping container but one would have to think they existed.

I have a couple card board boxes of links only , 10 to a box. I'm sure they were packaged in a larger container of some sort for shipping. I've never seen a larger shipping container but one would have to think they existed.

in the picture i posted you can see wood crates, they were also used with links i saw a video a while back where they were showing the stamping and checking of links and how they worked and all... they showed them pit links in a box and pack them in wood crates like those