Help With WW I Era Navy Wound & War Service Chevrons

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

I'm seeking information on WW I Navy wound and war service chevrons. My understanding is that Navy personnel who served with the AEF were awarded chevrons worn 'Army style' or point down on the respective sleeve per AEF regulations.

The Navy Department adopted a similar gold wound and war service chevron much later on September 25, 1918. These were to be awarded to Navy personnel who served on the high seas and elsewhere during the Great War. Both chevrons were apparently to be worn 'Navy style' or point up on the respective sleeve per Navy regulations.

Navy Department General Orders No. 422, issued on the above date further stated that the gold chevrons (the Navy did not adopt or issue light blue or silver war service chevrons) were to be worn on blue and white uniforms as well as all "outer garments, except undress jumpers".

My question is does anybody post an image of either a uniform or period photo showing an AEF issued (point down) or Navy issued (point up) gold wound chevron on the right sleeve of any WW I era garment?

Or a photo of either an AEF or Navy wound (right sleeve) or war service chevron (left sleeve) on the white dress jumper?

Or a photo of either an AEF or Navy chevron on any "outer garment", which presumably translated into either an overcoat or a pea coat?

Thanks to all for looking and any assistance provided.

Brian

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Brian,

I've looked at a ton of WW1 Navy uniforms since 1958, when I started this, and have never seen one with a wound chevron, including pictures. Not saying there isn't one, I've just never seen one. Just like I've never seen a Navy uniform with a red discharge chevron. Would like to see both if such a thing exists.

John

world war I nerd

Thanks John,

Like you, I've never seen a wound or discharge stripe worn on any Navy garments, and have often wondered about both.

Research indicates that the Navy did not adopt nor issue red discharge chevrons or light blue and silver war service chevrons. These appear to have been Army only awards.

According to Navy Department General Orders a gold wound chevron was adopted in September of 1918, along with the Navy version of a gold war service chevron. Based on this, I assume this allusive award did exist, but thus far without any visual proof!

Does anybody have any statistics as to how many sailors were wounded in action during WW I on the high seas? Surely there must have been more than a few??

Thanks John,

Like you, I've never seen a wound or discharge stripe worn on any Navy garments, and have often wondered about both.

Research indicates that the Navy did not adopt nor issue red discharge chevrons or light blue and silver war service chevrons. These appear to have been Army only awards.

According to Navy Department General Orders a gold wound chevron was adopted in September of 1918, along with the Navy version of a gold war service chevron. Based on this, I assume this allusive award did exist, but thus far without any visual proof!

Does anybody have any statistics as to how many sailors were wounded in action during WW I on the high seas? Surely there must have been more than a few??

The Navy Heritage and History Command lists 819 USN WIA for WWI. This is probably why most of us haven't seen a photo or actual USN uniform with a wound stripe. Here's the link.

http://www.history.navy.mil/browse-by-topic/organization-and-administration/personnel/casualties.html

I used to own a large group to a Phm2 who served in the 43rd Company 5th Marines. The group is currently owned by another forum member in France. I did an article on the group in the AAMUC Footlocker in the early 90s. The blue jumper in the group had point down o/s chevrons on the left sleeve and a wound chevron, point down, on the right sleeve. If I I can find the old news letter I will scan the article and post it.

world war I nerd

Thanks 29navy for the link to the crew of the USS Beale. What a great photo! Also for the Navy link which discussed war service and wound chevrons as worn in the U.S. Navy ... a very informative page which I've visited several times.

Hat's off to bertmedals for taking the time to track down the total number of Navy casualties during the war. I figured that figure would be low, but not that low. I concur with his assessment that the low number of wounded is probably the reason why Navy wound chevrons are anything but common.

John, do you remember me from Kaiser Bill's? I definitely remember you and your USMC - Navy collection, and particularly the corpsman grouping you mentioned! By any chance do you have a photo of the corpsman's blue jumper?

Thanks to all for assisting with my query.

I'll look for old pics. I don't remember you by your user name here... Send me a PM when you get a chance.

Jim

Brian,

I know the Navy regulations from the website above say that all the chevrons should be worn "point up" and therefore I fear this might only muddy the waters, but here's an example that you might find of interest. I picked this up a few months ago, but due to a family emergency, I have had no time to dedicate to researching the name of the sailor stamped on the inside. If anyone has a registry of WWI Navy casualties, I would be greatly appreciative of any leads to help research it when I have a bit more time in the future. Unfortunately, the seller picked it up at an estate sale and didn't have any more information on it, but I'm comfortable with its authenticity. All the stitching on the chevrons and the rate patch is of the same thread and stitch pattern, and it definitely looks like it's been there for 95 years.

I hope this helps in your search,

-- Jon

post-112103-0-57476900-1430187593.jpg

world war I nerd

Very Nice Jon! That's exactly what I was looking for. The rating is also on the right sleeve, per Army regulations, which is how many sailors that served in the AEF wore them. If I'm not mistaken, Navy regs of 1918 called for the rates to be on the left sleeve.

Jim, I'll shoot you a pm later as I need to be on my way immediately, if not sooner...

The navy ratings of the seaman branch (in essence, all ratings that served above decks, the Quartermaster shown on the uniform above is one) are to be on the right arm. All others are on the left arm. This changed in 1948 when all ratings went to the left arm.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Neat! That's the first one I've seen, and I've been at this since 1958. Scarcer than hen's teeth! They will most likely have his records at NARA in St. Louis. the Navy records weren't affected by the fire.

John

Neat! That's the first one I've seen, and I've been at this since 1958. Scarcer than hen's teeth! They will most likely have his records at NARA in St. Louis. the Navy records weren't affected by the fire.

John

I agree with John -- that's the first I've seen also. I haven't been collecting quite as long but long enough for sure. Thanks for posting the picture.

Dennis

Thanks, everybody. I knew it was rare, but I had no idea it was THAT rare. I was just lucky no one else spotted it first, and that the seller decided to throw in the hat for free after the deal was done. Defininely one to send off for the records when I get a chance.

Tennessee

This is a great illustration of how important the original artifacts and their associated history/story are to preserve for future collectors and historians!! I can't wait to see what else in this sailor's story might be revealed and saved forever!! Right now , it is still in obscurity!! Thanks for all who paricipated in this thread!!

David