Ulster 10th Mtn Div Pocket Knife

thorin6

This has been on my want list for several years. I’ve seen one for sale at an antique mall, and several for sale on ebay. Too often the condition was poor and the price high, and a couple of times the condition was good, but the price much higher, and I just didn’t feel comfortable paying that much for the knife. I went with my wife to an antique fair this weekend and a dealer I was familiar with had it for sale. We reached an agreed upon price at $80 and it was mine. Condition is certainly used but not abused; no heavy sharpening, all blades in good shape and complete, bone scales in good, un-cracked and un-chipped shape, and nicely marked bail. Two minor issues are the small chips in the short blade near the front, and the snap on the main blade is somewhat weak but acceptable. The variations of the knife were very ably covered in a previous post:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/236987-the-3-versions-of-the-ulster-mtn-ski-pocket-knife/

This is the second type described in Steve D’s post, which I believe is the more common version as I’ve seen more types of this in the past three years. I’d like to find out how many of these were produced if anyone knows.

post-11546-0-05349900-1430096068.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here is mine which looks to be the same pattern as yours. Bought it from a friend in Italy for about $150 equivalent a few years ago. It was still in brown tissue paper, unissued, not a mark on it. I'd wanted one for some time since my father had served in the WWII 10th Mountain.

post-3625-0-54966600-1432344123.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finding out the exact number made is going to be tough. Don't know for sure if any records remain to get the answer.