First Pattern Griswold Bag Bar

med-dept

Hello,

I am currently looking to have one of the securing bars used on the first pattern Griswold Bag reproduced. Unfortunately, so far I have not been able to locate an original to take measurements from.

Do any members have one that they'd be willing to provide photographs and measurements of?

Advanced thanks for your assistance,

Ben.

Does this help at all - I'm reluctant to pull out the bar as it has been in place as long as I've owned it, this example was unissued and was with a group of other equipment actually used for testing - I'll try and get some measurements but be patient as I have an action packed weekend.

post-329-0-27779100-1429894061.jpg

Bob,

That's fantastic, thank you. I'll stand by for more information, but I really appreciate your assistance so far!

Thanks,

Ben.

All right, the bar is made of 1/16" thick steel rod - it has some form of a treatment to it as it has not rusted but it does have some white corrosion to it but the original color was a flat dull grey. Overall length is 30 1/4" inches long - the ring at the end is 7/8' outside diameter. Let me know if there's anything else you need and I would like to see you're first pattern Griswold bag.

Bob

Thats a great bag

Do you think the wire rod is galvanized steel wire?

The wire some what reminds me of the wire used on the snow brush issued in WW2

It's had some form of treatment (probably galvanized) - similar to the snow brush but thinner - only 1/16th of an inch - this bag actually still has a felt pad cap in it (that it was issued with) that goes over the muzzle of an M1 Garand.

Bob,

Sincere thanks for your help with the measurements, I really appreciate it. Can you confirm if the other end is terminated in any way, or is it just cut off?

As per your request, here are some shots of my Griswold; these are the only ones I have to hand at the moment, but I'll try to grab some better ones this weekend:

post-2299-0-49420800-1430296222.jpg

post-2299-0-67560400-1430296247.jpg

post-2299-0-08627100-1430296291.jpg

Thanks,

Ben.

Ben,

No special termination at the end, just cut-off perpendicular to the rod. Thanks for sharing your bag, I remember seeing this one before - any history or ID behind the name on it ?

It's had some form of treatment (probably galvanized) - similar to the snow brush but thinner - only 1/16th of an inch - this bag actually still has a felt pad cap in it (that it was issued with) that goes over the muzzle of an M1 Garand.

Bob

Thats great..never seen the felt cap

One of the brushes I found recently measures near 1/8 inch or .1250 in thickness on the wire

Here's the felt cap that was found issued with this bag - softer than horse hair - I thought is was a rats pillow the first time I saw it !

post-329-0-83946000-1430414941.jpg

Probably one of the rarest original airborne items out there - I'll probably see a hundred of them on ebay next week !

post-329-0-93038500-1430415325.jpg

• 1 month later...

So I managed to find time to make one of these bars today, and am pretty pleased with the way it turned out. I actually used a galvanised wire coat hanger as a starting point, which was the correct gauge steel. I think it turned out well, and I cannot thank Bob enough for kindly sharing photographs and dimensions of his original!

post-2299-0-39779700-1434287608.jpg

post-2299-0-00216900-1434287618.jpg

Cheers,

Ben.

That came out great, thanks to you and Bob and others for a very interesting thread...i can hear your wife now..."honey where have all the coathangers gone?".......mike :)