#1 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 209
  • 13,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:46 AM

All:

This might be old news for some of you, but I just figured this out myself. I was pushed into getting a solution by two fellow forum members and considering the three of us didn't know how to do this, I figured I'd make this a tutorial!

To answer an initial question: No, you cannot use Tapatalk, tinyurl, tinyimg, photobucket, etc. to upload your images onto the forum. If you want to research the background of that policy, there are several lengthy threads you can find in a search. That leaves you (intentionally) with one option: use the USMF's photo hosting feature. However, most phones take photos that are HUGE. Like 1.6 to 2.5 MB huge. Some people say "Well, they need to be that big so people can see detail!" No...not true. Normally, what happens is that people upload the massive image and when it's displayed, it looks like a pixelated blob (trust me, I'm on a forum that allows for up to 8 MB image uploads...quite often, you either have to make out what the image is from the thumbnail, or open the image, save it, and then size it down to see just what the heck it is...no...I'm not a fan of it...) Long and short of it is that you can upload an image smaller than 251 KB and it will be PLENTY for the forum. Image COMPRESSION is key. If you need help with that, there are also some good threads out there about that.

But back to images from a phone. I was very frustrated at the Show of Shows because I couldn't upload some images into PMs because they were too big. There might have been a few guys who missed out on some cool items because I didn't have their regular e-mail or phone number to get the image(s) to them. Kind of a bummer. Now that I've got this figured out...we're in business! And it works for PMs as well as for regular threads on the forum.

So here's how you do it. This is going to be a multi-step tutorial, and I'll put one image per post so I can comment on them for continuity.

Step 1.

Use your phone to take a photo. In this case, I took a picture of my shellback certificates on my office wall. This image is 2.02 MB. WAY too big for the forum!

Attached Images

• IMG_2943.jpg

#2 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 13,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:48 AM

So I took a screenshot of the image, just as you see it above. Here's a tutorial from Apple: https://support.appl.../en-us/HT200289

I then opened the image in Photoshop Express. It's a free download from the iTunes store.

Attached Images

• IMG_2944.jpg

#3 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 13,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:49 AM

Once I had the image open, I then selected the "crop" tool (the square lines at the bottom) and selected the area I wanted to crop. No need for you all to see my phone "stuff" on the top and bottom of the image.

Attached Images

• IMG_2945.jpg

#4 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 13,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:51 AM

And here we go with the crop lines in place...looks good, right? You can flip, turn, and otherwise change up the image in Photoshop Express. There are better photo editing tools available, but this one is free and works well for what we need.

Attached Images

• IMG_2946.jpg

#5 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 13,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:52 AM

Then, you can hit the back button and it will ask if you want to save the image. Yes, you do.

Attached Images

• IMG_2947.jpg

#6 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 13,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:53 AM

Next, open up your browser of choice. It will default to the mobile version. You can't use that one for uploading images. So, scroll to the bottom and open the Full Version.

Attached Images

• IMG_2949.jpg

#7 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 13,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:55 AM

Okay, so the Full Version on a phone isn't really convenient, but...hey, we work with what we've got, right? So go to the bottom and choose file.

Attached Images

• IMG_2950.jpg

#8 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 13,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:56 AM

You'll have the option to take a photo or video...but you can't as they're too big. Select the image you edited from your photo library.

Attached Images

• IMG_2951.jpg

Edited by Dave, 22 April 2015 - 08:17 AM.

#9 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 13,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:57 AM

Your camera roll then pops up. You'll now see the image(s) you edited. If they are small enough, you can do this multiple times until you hit 251 KB.

Attached Images

• IMG_2952.jpg

#10 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 13,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:58 AM

You'll then attach that file and you'll see it above the words "Attach Files".

Attached Images

• IMG_2953.jpg

#11 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 13,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:59 AM

Either before or after the last steps, you can type in your post...

Attached Images

• IMG_2954.jpg

#12 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 13,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:00 AM

Finally, with your post typed, images uploaded, you are good to go! Just hit the "Post New Topic" (or "Post Reply") and viola...you have a post with images taken from your phone! Easy!

I assume this will work with Android phones, but I don't have one to try it out on, unfortunately.

Please let me know if you have ANY questions about how this is done!

Good luck!

Attached Images

• IMG_2955.jpg

#13 Sparty On

Sparty On
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,736
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:43 AM

Dave,

How do you tell what the newly cropped size is?

Mike

#14 MasonK

MasonK
  • Members
    • Member ID: 29,885
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:06 AM

Another option I've used, is to take the photo, then email it to myself. When emailing, you will be given the option to choose the photo size. Just select the size that meets the forum size requirements.

When you receive the email on your phone, save the new image to your phone. You can then follow the step's Dave provided in posts 6 onward. 

Attached Images

• IMG_1528.PNG

Edited by MasonK, 22 April 2015 - 09:07 AM.

#15 MasonK

MasonK
  • Members
    • Member ID: 29,885
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:11 AM

Uploaded from iPhone...

Attached Images

• image.jpg

Edited by MasonK, 22 April 2015 - 09:12 AM.

#16 BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH
  • Members
    • Member ID: 11,207
  • 6,528 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:38 AM

Thanks Dave, listen to the man everyone it works like a charm. I have a moto - g phone and it works. Thanks again Dave!

Edited by BILL THE PATCH, 22 April 2015 - 09:39 AM.

#17 cutiger83

cutiger83
  • VOLUNTEERS
    • Member ID: 5,589
  • 7,379 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:42 AM

Another option I've used, is to take the photo, then email it to myself. When emailing, you will be given the option to choose the photo size. Just select the size that meets the forum size requirements.

When you receive the email on your phone, save the new image to your phone. You can then follow the step's Dave provided in posts 6 onward.

This looks like a good option too. Interesting that you can pick the size when e-mailing.

...Kat

#18 Dave

Dave

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 13,388 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:51 AM

Good call Eric! Thanks!

Mike - I use the iPhone app Photo Investigator. That one is free, but there are some paid ones that are better. Here's what the image metadata looks like of the original image used for this thread.

Attached Images

• IMG_2956.jpg

#19 RustyCanteen

RustyCanteen

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 24,355
  • 15,136 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:09 AM

Excellent tutorial!

RC

#20 cull canyon

cull canyon
  • Members
    • Member ID: 67,559
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:21 PM

I have to say it is a shame that listing something here is not simple. I have lot of items I would like share or get information on but I can’t figure out how to do it. I wish it was as easy as eBay or craigslist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users