WWII Named B-14 Jacket; 8th AF/Blue Combat Wings Question

Kadet

I recently picked this jacket up on Ebay. It is named to Tsgt Joseph E. Moore, who served as a radio operator/gunner in the 848th Bomb Squadron, 490th Bomb Group of the mighty 8th. Would it have been customary to wear collar brass on this type of jacket? I'm thinking "yes", but don't see any marks for it on the collar.

post-110-0-21311600-1429717291.jpg

The one I have does not have collar brass and I have a photo of the vet wearing it that way. There also is no indication of it ever having brass on it.

Ray

littlebuddy

The Pictured jacket is a B14 enlistedmans variant of the officers B13 . Is there not a thread somewhere regarding the wearing of collar "brass" on the "battle dress" style of jacket ??? sure there is :huh:

Since these were considered flight jackets, they were not supposed to have metal insignia, but instead use bullion or embroidered insignia if any at all. However, many officers wearing the B-13 and Enlisted men wearing the B-14 used them as Ike jackets and did place metal collar insignia on them.

JD

Thanks! I like to restore period insignia when appropriate. In this case, I can see no evidence that the collar had brass on it, nor does it look like it had a ribbon bar. I will leave it as i found it...

Nice B-14. I would not monkey with it, if you can't find the holes. As stated above these were issued as flight jackets and are often (if not usually) seen without brass. Nice blueback bullion wings on it!

Thanks. I had fun researching it, and have ordered his record. Always neat to make an ID from just a laundry #. The wings are really nice on this one. It doesn't show in the pic but they are very heavy, almost 3D bullion. I believe they are Brit made...

post-110-0-76170600-1429750926.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...
On 4/22/2015 at 6:02 PM, Kadet said:

Thanks. I had fun researching it, and have ordered his record. Always neat to make an ID from just a laundry #. The wings are really nice on this one. It doesn't show in the pic but they are very heavy, almost 3D bullion. I believe they are Brit made...

post-110-0-76170600-1429750926.jpg

Bringing this back to the top...

Did you ever receive the records and info of the previous owner? Beautiful uniform!