Small little WASP grouping

Eric Queen

I have a weakness for beret's in general so I decided to go for this little grouping to WASP pilot Ru/th Hag/em/ann (Wh/eeler).

She was part of the 43-5 class I believe.

43-5-hagemann.jpg

Looks like she was planning to turn the wings into a bracelet but never did. At least it looks like a chain was never added. The wings are (to me) exactly what you would want to see. Prong back, made by Josten, very sharp edges, the five little feathers on either side of the diamond are crisp and sharp. Clearly die struck and not cast.

DSC_1551.JPG

I have found WASP beret's (especially attributed ones with the correct eagle device [with straight pin]) to be quite hard to find.

DSC_1552.JPG

And lastly her knit cap with name tag (unfortunately it is not the blue version of the cap......)

DSC_1553.JPG

Thanks Kat. I posted it mainly to show the beret. I don't think one has been on the forum before unless I missed it.

Here are some pics (Goggle) of the beret in wear.

Please anyone feel free to post your beret's to this thread.

53d959986e570.image.jpg

It is fairly common to see pictures of them in the beret when they are wearing the Santiago blue uniform. Most of the graduation pictures when they are wearing the Santiago blue uniform show them wearing the beret.

...Kat

Indeed. You can find a number of scans of period portrait/graduation photos of the beret in wear on the internet. At least in my experience, finding an actual original beret or original portrait of it being worn is a whole different story.

Here is a photo of the WASP Beret in my collection. This belonged to Patricia Kenworthy Nuckols, class of 44-W-5. The beret is manufactured by Knox, which was the manufacturer, not only for the berets but also the Blue WASP Utility caps. I believe that Knox was also the manufacturer for many of the Woman's services caps and hats of WWII. I also have her Santiago Blue uniform. Included in the uniform lot are her jacket, skirt and tie. The shirt shown is a modern woman's shirt.

post-23999-0-37996400-1429542776.jpgpost-23999-0-64310200-1429542781.jpg

Thanks Eric,

I was very fortunate to acquire this grouping. The wing is actually a WASP Lozenge soldered over an Observer wing. She must have had it made.