Color of paint on USN helmets

ccmax

Screamingeagles101

Don, reunited with his helmet!

That's so cool to see the soldier wear his helmet he fought with years later. Must have brought back many memories.

That's so cool to see the soldier wear his helmet he fought with years later. Must have brought back many memories.

Forum member Bill47 knew Don and we worked it out to get this one back into his hands. Bill said that Don was thrilled by seeing his old helmet again. The helmet is now located in a local museum. Sadly, Don passed away last week at the age of 90.

Screamingeagles101

Forum member Bill47 knew Don and we worked it out to get this one back into his hands. Bill said that Don was thrilled by seeing his old helmet again. The helmet is now located in a local museum. Sadly, Don passed away last week at the age of 90.

It was great that he was able to see his helmet again. May he rest in peace.

USN Medical (Olive drab)

Hello,

very nice helmet ... does it have additionnal markings supporting the USN use ?

Regards, E

• 7 months later...

Here is one I got from eBay. Strange looking combination. This is a rear seam, swivel bail, Schlueter made with a heat lot of 446A.

Has a dark gray, light gray, and the red paint.

post-10825-0-17849600-1433605505.jpg

Other side.

post-10825-0-69700400-1433605679.jpg

Last picture. Anyone seen this combo of colors before??

Chris

post-10825-0-03306600-1433605719.jpg

looks like white/red to me.. probably a fire control helmet from VN.

It does looks like white in the pictures, but it is actually light gray color. Hard to capture the true color.

Chris

Did you mean Damage Control? I am not sure what a "fire control helmet" looks like.

Chris

. Just to clear up the terminology, in the Navy, "Fire Control" is Aiming and Firing Weapons. Basically, controlling the fire you put down on someone else

Meant a fireman's helmet.

What's your opinion on the helmet Sigs?

lol, in the Naby, a "Fireman" is any non rated Sailor in an Engineering rating. But, I knew what you meant, just saw a "Teaching Moment". Any way, standard Navy helmet, could be anything. Saw helmets with various colors used by cargo handlers too.

Haha I know I'm off on my terms. Shoot.. I never knew until recently about the fireman sailors at all.... Thought there were only seamen.

It's always nice to get your perspective on the USN stuff. Thanks!

-Brian

Brian. You know the only reason I point out the terms is do that as people research, they understand what they are reading. Sometimes "Navy" can get pretty confusing.

Salvage Sailor

Pretty confusing Steve, sheesh!

Let's not get started on Construction Electrician Constructionman Apprentices .....

Meanwhile, back at the topic - applying the General rule of I just made this up myself for the readers benefit.

USN Grey helmets are worn at most battle stations aboard ship, primarily on deck, but also below decks. (like the men on the foredeck and bridges of the USS PAPAGO shown below)

post-2322-0-78481800-1433648460.jpg

USN Red helmets are Damage Control party helmets. (as seen worn by the hose teams of the Damage Control party)

post-2322-0-80199100-1433648461.jpg

Who wears these red and grey helmets is determined by the sailor's Station in a given situation (as posted on ye olde Watch, Quarter & Station Bill, look it up) not by what your rate is.

IMG_3648.JPG.d580cab3977a2fa672aec4984f8cf874.JPG

For example, a Damage Control Party, both inport and at sea, could have Seamen, Firemen or Airmen wearing those Red M1's. A crewmans' station could differ for Battle, Chemical, Collision, Fire, Unrep, Boarding, etc, etc. On one ship, I wore at least five different helmets at five different stations. (Two grey, one DC red, my green Mitchell and a grey MK 2 talker) There are many, too many, exceptions or counter examples to the General rule, (because there was no standard rule as evidenced by the comments in the threads) but for the most part it holds true 9 out of 10 times.

There ya go

Salvage Training HCU-2 Little Creek VA 001.jpg

Damage Control Party hose teams

Salvage Training HCU-2 Little Creek VA 008.jpg

Damage Control party with OBA's, (asbestos) gloves, helmets & lifejackets, dungarees tucked into their boondockers

Salvage Training HCU-2 Little Creek VA 011.jpg

Just as Salvage says. There really is nothing in writing as to painting or marking Navy helmets on ships. Just what has passed down over the years through common practice. I was on an Amphibs where the Bosun wanted his cargo hatch, cargo handlers wearing colored helmets designating which hatch they were assigned to with winch and crane operators wearing brown. It just depended on the ship and who was directing the helmets to be painted. But ALL red or Yellow generally designated Damage Control. Like Salvage said, what helmet you wore depended on what station you were assigned to for what evolution

I have a few more USN helmets. This one is a favorite. Red helmet with "Hoseman" stenciled across the front. I love the "haze gray" paint neatly applied on the front.

post-10825-0-40986500-1433689637.jpg

I have a few more USN helmets. This one is a favorite. Red helmet with "Hoseman" stenciled across the front. I love the "haze gray" paint neatly applied on the front.

image.jpg

. Wow, someone went all out with putting on the position on this. Usually, you were lucky to have what repair locker it belonged to