M9 Phrobis flat top M

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

A buddy of mine pulled this out of a bag of M7s, along with 3 of the USMC bayonets..after some trading, I was able to walk out the door with it...Not mint, it is well used/worn...just the way I wanted to find one...from internet searches..it is the second gen Phrobis? has the flat top M....

post-155518-0-40475200-1428763579.jpg

post-155518-0-82176000-1428763585.jpg

The "2nd Generation" terminology is of course a collector designation, not an official one. But yes, this is what collectors call the 2nd Generation, the 1st Generation being the same but with the "Chevron" Buck date mark which was ordered to be discontinued by Ordnance.

Like you, I do like my bayonets to show honest use.

For those who are interested, the photo below shows the 4 markings referred to as "generations". Top row, first and second, bottom row third and fourth. There are at least 5 variations in the markings of the 4th generation based on minor differences in letter spacing.

post-66-0-39243000-1428767494.jpg

Most of the time I prefer mint examples, but here's a Marine Corps. M9 that really has been there. "Complete" with the top strap of the scabbard torn off.

Marv

post-26996-0-14327100-1428771345.jpg

post-26996-0-57852000-1428771360.jpg

Right now I'd say that the market for M9's seem to be as slow as I've seen it in the last four years or so. Prices are reflecting that. Only the really rare variations in very good and up condition seem to be getting much interest, but that also seems to be the trend with most other blades today also. Good for buyers, not so much for sellers.

The scabbards are made by the companies that make the M9s. At least they have their own names on the scabbards. I'm only talking about the military issue M9s. Phrobis, LanCay, and Ontario.. Bianchi made the metal attachment on the Phrobis and Ontario scabbards. LanCay attachments are unmarked. The plastic part of the buckle for all of them is made by Fastex. You can check ebay for prices. As sactroop said, prices are down. I just bought a Lan-Cay "Utility" M9 for $92.00. They are pretty scarce in that they only made 900 of them in 1995. I bought one when they first came out and paid 109.00. I've seen them go as high as $189.00. I gave the first one to my son who took it to Iraq.

Marv

If you ignore the ridiculous Buy It Now prices on eBay or Gunbroker, the prices for decent bayonets and knives are pretty low right now. A short time ago you could not buy an M9 for under $100, now if unless it is something special, both LanCay and Ontario can be had for under $100 with some careful shopping, and even a standard Phrobis doesn't go much higher if you are willing to have one that shows some use. Of course if it is something rare or special, the price still is pretty high, but for the common stuff in used but nice condition the prices are pretty reasonable.