Aviator Uniform (French Made) & Group. Wm.V. Lovell 49th Aero Sqdn

k bandow

Picked up this part of a great WWI Air Service pilot's uniform. I am going to be getting the rest of the grouping (side cap, boots, sam browne belt, photo/s of the pilot and multiple documents). At the moment, I have the last name Lovell from the uniform tailor tag.

post-24315-0-05184300-1428703788.jpg

French tailor tag. In with the documents I will be receiving is the original receipt from the Parisian tailor.

post-24315-0-47873100-1428704130.jpg

Picked up this part of a great WWI Air Service pilot's uniform. I am going to be getting the rest of the grouping (side cap, boots, sam browne belt, photo/s of the pilot and multiple documents). At the moment, I have the last name Lovell from the uniform tailor tag.

Bandow,

My records show 4 pilots with the last name Lovell.

George E. Lovell Jr. Major HOR Blackborn Ohio, did not get overseas

William P. Lovell 2Lt, HOR Unk, 22nd and 94th Pursuit Sq

Lawrence G. Lovell 1LT HOR Brooklyn NY, killed in training with RFC

Walter P. Lovell Captain HOR Newton, MA, Lafayette Escadrille & 135th Obs.Sq

Will be interesting to see what first name comes up in the paperwork. The wings are indeed French. I would lean towards it belonging to William P. even though it has 1Lt bars. The gold buttons and 1919 US and Wing and Prop on the tunic might suggest that he could have been promoted to 1Lt at the end of the war of shortly after and converted the tunic to fit the period.

Lawrence was killed in training with the RFC and would not have 3 overseas stripes.

George was a Maj and did not see combat, and Walter P. was a captain.

Perhaps Cliff P has some more info to add as his records are most likely more detailed than mine.

Keep us informed please.

Thanks for posting, Terry

Apparently his name was William Vail Lovell. Maybe there is a mix-up with him and William P. Lovell? William Vail Lovell was in the 49th and 22nd Squadrons.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

Also, check Gorrells on fold3. You might turn something up as well. Nice French wing to boot! What documents come with it?

John

Apparently his name was William Vail Lovell. Maybe there is a mix-up with him and William P. Lovell? William Vail Lovell was in the 49th and 22nd Squadrons.

That is probably one in the same, My records have him listed as William P. but its not unusual to mix up middle initials. And in my old age (getting senile I suspect) I put down 94th rather than 49th Aero Sq. William was transferred from the 49th Pursuit Squadron to the 22nd Pursuit and remained in the 22nd until the end of the war.

No record of his getting any kills.

Regardless, its a beautiful uniform and unique with the 1919 transition insignia. Actually the 1919 collar insignia is more rare than the 1918 subdued insignia, far less aviators in the army between the wars than during WW1.

Terry

No issue there Terry, I figured you meant 49th. I am really excited to receive the other items from the grouping to start putting together pieces of the puzzle. No aerial victories, but still an impressive uniform to a SPAD pilot. And I really do like that it is unique from the 1918 uniforms, having the gold buttons and insignia. It will make for a beautiful display when I get a proper size mannequin for it. Thank you all for your inputs! And if anyone else has an immediate post-war uniform such as this, I would love to see it!

Karl

That is probably one in the same, My records have him listed as William P. but its not unusual to mix up middle initials. And in my old age (getting senile I suspect) I put down 94th rather than 49th Aero Sq. William was transferred from the 49th Pursuit Squadron to the 22nd Pursuit and remained in the 22nd until the end of the war.

No record of his getting any kills.

Regardless, its a beautiful uniform and unique with the 1919 transition insignia. Actually the 1919 collar insignia is more rare than the 1918 subdued insignia, far less aviators in the army between the wars than during WW1.

Terry

Will do, chis! I was very willing to let go of items from my German collection to fund this grouping. A dream come true!

That's quite a group! Really hard to find anything from US pilots who actually made it to the front. Thanks for posting.

• 2 weeks later...

The flying boots really add to the collection! I'll bet he loved wearing them at every opportunity with his uniform! Thanks for updating the items!

David

William V. Lovell, made his first combat flight with the 22nd Aero on August 31st 1918 and his last operational assignment was with the 1101st Aero squadron and is listed as still in the Zone of Advance as of May 1919. Great uniform grouping. Best Paul