WWII USN Fighter Pilot Flight Jacket from VBF-1 on USS Bennington 'Royal Flushers'

KASTAUFFER

I recently acquired this very nice example of an M-422A US Navy Flight Jacket to a pilot from Bombing Fighting Squadron One who flew off the USS Bennington in 1945.

It also came with the unit history from VBF-1 , and a knife he carried on missions.

The Squadron patch represents the logo of the "Royal Flushers" which was the nickname of VBF-1. It is an canvas screened patch. The pilot also removed the 'ENS" rank from his nametag as he had moved up in rank.

Bombing Fighting Squadron One, designated as VBF-1 was formed at the Naval Air Station in Fallon, Nevada in December 1944 and commissioned on 2 January 1945, to become the fourth squadron in the Veteran Air Group One. Following Japan's surrender and the end of World War II in the Pacific, VBF-1 was disbanded on 1 November 1945.

Flying F4U Corsairs, the VBF-1 squadron was assigned to the USS Bennington (CV-20) in the Pacific on 17 June 1945, where it was based for the remainder of WWII. The squadron's pilots participated in strikes against the Imperial Japanese homeland and against her fleet at sea from 10 July 1945 until Japan's surrender on 15 August 1945, including attacks against the Nagato on 18 July 1945, and the battle of Kure from 24 July 1945 through 28 July 1945.

The jacket was made by Gordon and Ferguson which is a popular manufacturer because of the quality of the leather.

This jacket looks like he wore it during the war and then put it away for good. Its in remarkable condition.

IMG_2885.JPG

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2894.JPG

The snaps look like they were added to the sheath. They are parkerized.

Kurt

Here is another example of how small this world is. A few years ago I posted a Short Snorter owned by a pilot who had flown with VF-5 and later VF-1 on the USS Bennington.

I found the signature of this pilot on it! Its about half way down in the picture,

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37000-extraordinary-wwii-short-snorter-signed-by-pilots-from-vf-5/

IMG_2896.JPG

Thanks guys! These WWII Navy jackets are just so hard to find with a squadron patch and a nametag that were worn during the war. I see way more painted A2's than these.

When I saw that beautiful canvas patch... I knew I had to step up.

Kurt

I knew you would like that patch Johnny. Its the first VBF-1 patch I have seen,

Kurt

Amazing group Kurt. Those jackets are impossible to find. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Dick