German Gun Battery for sale… Atlantic Wall in Cherbourg

dando1944

I am not sure where to position this on the forum… so I am hoping someone will point it in the right direction.
Cherbourg gun battery up for sale...
Are you are interested in owning a piece of the Atlantic Wall in Normandy ?
A superbly preserved and untouched Normandy German Gun Battery has been put for sale.
The huge gun battery and complex at Querqueville / Amfreville (Stp 277) is up for sale - as of this week.
It is well documented and its history is well known as it defended the port of Cherbourg from the hills above the city. Battery York as it was locally known, fought an artillery duel with USS Texas before being over-run after a land battle with the US army.
It has the view to die over Cherbourg harbour and also a magnificent view over the nature reserve and beaches in front of it, and, it offers the buyer the opportunity to uncover an untouched battlefield - all left as was were after the war..… Why was it left… because had been closed off to the public since the war, and owned by the French government. And it is now up for sale by the current owners.
If you are seriously interested you can email the selling agents directly on [email protected] in French or English. They can also arrange for interested parties to visit the site and be given a private tour. The site also has a number of buildings which have not yet been re-uncovered after being closed off at the end of the war.
By way of a price comparison - there is a the 100 square metre German bunker that came up for sale in Cherbourg last month priced at €109,000 - it appears that the Battery York complex is a real bargain at €300,000 given the thousands of metres it covers… it will certainly only go up in value.
It is one of the most intact, well-documented and undamaged Gun Batteries that is likely to ever come up for sale in Normandy.
There are plenty of period photographs of the Germans in occupation at the battery and I will upload some more of them shortly. I will also upload some of the D-day intelligence aerial photos and GSGS intelligence maps etc. in due course.
I am sure there are plenty of other Forum members who will also have pics of the site and I know they will know even more of the history.
The battery contains 4 huge German built casements (complete with rear ammunition stores and underground storage) as well as the mounts and casements for 4 Napoleonic guns… a big underground hospital, numerous ancillary bunkers, tobruks, toilets, living accommodation etc… many platforms for wooden cabins (which can be rebuilt)… and it even has an almost complete gatehouse which can be lived in as all it needs is 2 doors and 2 windows… so you already have your own on-site house. Not to mention that the battery has its own - gated driveway with Victorian gate posts and original 15ft gates - offering all the privacy you could wish for.
There is a 7 metre x 4 metre water storage area which would make a great infinity pool and a large 3 story observation tower - not to mention a nice concrete anti-aircraft position - all built upon a Napoleonic gun position and ammunition casements - also it is ideal if you wanted to make the ultimate bachelor pad where you can wake up with a million dollar view.
The acres of land come with modern planning permission for additional buildings… but you probably wont need them. The Germans built the site with more buildings than you could ever use.
It would make a fantastic museum setting, or a magnificent site for a modern home... or you can simply be the only person in town with their own untouched German gun battery.
Just google "Cherbourg Batterie York" or Stp277 Amfreville (York)
Alternatively you can look at this website… http://www.atlantikwall.org.uk/new_page_16.htm
Shown on this website are just a few of the many buildings and bunkers on the site.
Here are some photos from a WWII German soldiers photo album… during happier times at the site. I believe that more period photographs are available showing the Germans working around the battery.
There are more photos to follow….

post-108893-0-39348600-1427752261.jpg

post-108893-0-46143600-1427752273.jpg

post-108893-0-94667300-1427752283.jpg

Here's an idea, all the US/German collectors on the Forum pitch in some money and buy the battery!

(Multiple Forum members currently reading my post with a mixed expression of confusion and humor)

What?????

Someone has to think of these ideas! ;)

I'm totally digging the idea of buying it. If I won the lotto...of course. :)

Here are some images of where it's located and what it currently looks like...

3-30-2015 3-37-50 PM.jpg

3-30-2015 3-38-24 PM.jpg

3-30-2015 3-39-19 PM.jpg

Here's an idea, all the US/German collectors on the Forum pitch in some money and buy the battery!

(Multiple Forum members currently reading my post with a mixed expression of confusion and humor)

What?????

Someone has to think of these ideas! ;)

:lol: I would be happy to keep it at my house if you guys like ;)

Dave

pathfinder505

Jeff Schrader this would go great with a B-17 propeller. This could even be the HQ for AGM-Europe!!!

:lol: I would be happy to keep it at my house if you guys like ;)

Dave

That's OK with me Dave -- But you have to keep the grass cut. :P

Chris

Charlie Flick

Very cool. But what happened to the guns?? They would have to be part of any deal....I am afraid that Major Werner Pluskat would insist. B)

Charlie

Major Pluskat in Longest Day.jpg