Brass shell casings

navycollector

navycollector

If there's anybody else here who collects brass shell casings, I was interested in how others display what they have. Do you leave the brass in the condition it's in when you get it or do you polish it for display? I know in the world of antiques polishing and cleaning is usually looked down on because the finish however it ends up over the years is what you want, like on an old rifle. But I don't know of shells might be different.

i sometimes polish bullet shells and considered polishing the .75 mm shells i have but once you do it will never be the same again...

I've picked up a casing here and there when I see them and always try to polish them up. They're brass and they look good all shined up.

I've picked up a casing here and there when I see them and always try to polish them up. They're brass and they look good all shined up.

got any pictures?

navycollector

I do like them polished up. But that's one thing that I was thinking about how after polishing them there's no turning back, except I guess waiting another x number of years for the brass to tarnish again.

I do like them polished up. But that's one thing that I was thinking about how after polishing them there's no turning back, except I guess waiting another x number of years for the brass to tarnish again.

or wrapping them in a paper towel soaked with apple cider vinegar overnight...

navycollector

LEAVE THEM ALONE. THE PATINA IS PART OF THE NATURAL AGE AND TO MANY COLLECTORS IT IS NOW PLAYED WITH WHEN CLEANED.

I completely agree when it comes to rare or collectible shells, I wouldn't have much interest in a collectibe that has been messed with. I do have some common shells that really not worth much at all and was considering shining them up to display as they would have been when new.

I agree with Coasta leave the casing alone...... take care of the nasty spots if possible but never clean a casing up completely

navycollector

I agree with Coasta leave the casing alone...... take care of the nasty spots if possible but never clean a casing up completely

When you said take care of the nasty spots is possible, is there any recommended way of doing this without making it obvious that a spot was cleaned up? I tried this once, I think I had an old can of brass cleaner, I think it was called brasso. The problem was it cleaned it up too good where I used it and had to end up cleaning the whole shell to even it out.