And then there were two..........

Eric Queen

Local News Lt. Col. Robert Hite of 'Doolittle Tokyo Raiders' dead at 95 March 29, 2015 14:54 EDT NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Lt. Col. Robert Hite, one of the famed World War II "Doolittle Tokyo Raiders," has died at the age of 95. Wallace Hite told The Associated Press that his father died Sunday morning at a nursing facility in Nashville. He was battling Alzheimer's disease. Hite was among 80 men aboard 16 B-52 bombers whose mission was to strike Japan in 1942. While the attack inflicted only scattered damage, it was credited with boosting American morale while shaking Japan's confidence and prompting strategy shifts less than five months after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Hite's passing leaves only two other surviving Raiders: retired Lt. Col. Richard "Dick" Cole and Staff Sgt. David Thatcher. The Raiders will be honored with the Congressional Gold Medal on April 15 in Washington.

RIP. The Doolittle raid is one that will never be forgotten. What courage they all had to be a part of it!

JD

Indeed. I am not sure everyone realizes what most of them went through to get from where ever they bailed out (at night, in the rain, many behind Japanese lines) to Chung King. The raid itself was the easy part.

Garandomatic

First time I saw those and took a picture, there were sixteen. I think that was nine years ago.

RIP. Hard to believe only two goblets are left to turn over.

attachicon.gifgoblets.JPG

It should be noted that LtCol Hite was one of 8 Doolittle Raiders captured by the Japanese after bailing out over China. Three were executed by their captors for "war crimes". He lived a long life. R.I.P. Col Hite. Bobgee

HITE Doolittle Raider.jpg