• Please log in to reply
594 replies to this topic

#51 rayg

rayg
  • Members
    • Member ID: 89
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:15 AM

Sorry but I just had to post this photo of my airborne guy now with gloves on. I have been looking for original gloves for him for years. The gloves were issued to cavalry troopers and paratroopers. Finding these original gloves is amost impossible as most were just wore out by the troopers after the war. Some appear in vet. grouping that were kept together but finding them on the loose is hard and anyone who has them is fortunate indeed. I just got these at a small military show. They are well used and the adjusting straps had been cut off but I am happy just to have them and for only $10. Ray

Posted Image

#52 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 03:31 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I can't believe it. I forgot about leather 101 and that is to smell the leather. Some negative thoughts started to enter my mind on these gloves and I finally did the smell test and lo and behold I could detect a very slight smell of leather which any leather over 50 yrs old should not have any. Oh well, back to square one, only lost $10.00 but I'm embarrassed now. Anyone have an original pair for sale. Ray

#53 copdoc

copdoc
  • Members
    • Member ID: 498
  • 492 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 04:08 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I can't believe it. I forgot about leather 101 and that is to smell the leather. Some negative thoughts started to enter my mind on these gloves and I finally did the smell test and lo and behold I could detect a very slight smell of leather which any leather over 50 yrs old should not have any. Oh well, back to square one, only lost $10.00 but I'm embarrassed now. Anyone have an original pair for sale. Ray

In 50 years it is really going to be hard to tell. I remember my Dad had some gloves that he brought back but I think he wore them out like his jump jacket. He never called them anything except "GI" so I didn't think they were AB. Another thing he horded were chin straps. I had not thought about it until recently but he had 8-10 of the paratrooper chin straps in my closet when I was a kid. Apparently they were in high demand. I remember he had one modified for my football hemet when I was in high school. I am going to look through the closet again. He said the last thing he wanted was his helmet. I wish I had it. Do you have a close up of an original pair of gloves to compare in case I do find any.

#54 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 03:22 AM

Here's a photo of a pr of re-inactor/repro gloves from the What Price Glory site that look correct in cut. Also a close up of mine. I didn't pay much attention to the gloves when I got them as I mentioned I only paid $10 for them and being well used and grungy and having the straps cut off I assumed they were just a well used original pair. After I put them on the manikin, It dawned on me that I didn't see any govt stampings inside them. Well, I thought, they could have been pvt purchased by an officer. but then of course I detected that very faint smell of leather.
You can see where the adjustment straps were removed. The cut appears correct and the same as the original ones and they sure look right. Oh well. Let me know if you run across any originals ones, Ray

Posted Image
Posted Image

#55 copdoc

copdoc
  • Members
    • Member ID: 498
  • 492 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 02:27 PM

Thanks Ray
That is interesting. I am looking through some of the stuff my Dad brought back and asking him questions. I'll let you know if I find anything else. I wore out a pair of WWII jump boots when I was in high school and college. He gave me a pair that were issued to him and did not fit. I wish I had saved them.

#56 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 06:37 PM

Just some thoughts, I may have to re-think my opinion as to whether the gloves I have are repos based on having a slight smell of leather yet as at the SOS show there was an original opened crate still filled with approx. 30 pairs of original unused WWII USMC brogans. The shoes still had a fairly strong leather smell to them in fact, they almost smelled new. Now apparently the leather smell can stay for a long time based on storage. Mr Jerry said he had found several sets of paratrooper gloves that were stored for about 50 yrs and they still had a leather smell. I also had an opportunity to talk with him at the SOS show and he said that some of those gloves had contract stamps and some didn't. So maybe there is a chance my gloves are actually original.

But more importentily, this brings into question the valitity of attempting to identify originality based on leather smell. None of these shoes, on their own, would have passed the smell test and as such would have been declared new made. Having said that, it's apparent that leather smell should not be the sole indicator that the item is not original, Ray

#57 Ricardo

Ricardo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 202
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:39 AM

Hi Ray,]
]
AMAZING COLLECTION!!!!! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/w00t.gif

I imagine the energy this deposited in this war room!

Thank you for sharing and GREAT descriptions!!!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

#58 Eric

Eric
  • Members
    • Member ID: 113
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 06:47 AM

AMAZING COLLECTION!!!!! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/w00t.gif

I imagine the energy this deposited in this war room!

Thank you for sharing and GREAT descriptions!!!

You're right about that. A truely amazing collection. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/twothumbup.gif

#59 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:48 AM

Thought I'd post some new scarce and very hard to find additions to my collection I've added recently.

These are, an M1912 eagle snap cavalry bandolier, 2nd pattern about 1914-16 period and a nice set of 1907 suspenders. These items will go with my M1912 "do-nut" eagle snap cartridge belt.
Ray
Posted Image
Posted Image

#60 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:54 AM

[quote name='rayg' date='Mar 19 2007, 07:48 AM' post='22114']
Thought I'd post some new scarce and very hard to find additions to my collection I've added recently.

Also a Russian SVT rifle with an original SVT scope and a hard to find original mount. Ray

Posted Image
Posted Image

#61 Retired

Retired
  • Members
    • Member ID: 264
  • 645 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:15 PM

These are, an M1912 eagle snap cavalry bandolier, 2nd pattern about 1914-16 period and a nice set of 1907 suspenders. These items will go with my M1912 "do-nut" eagle snap cartridge belt.
Ray
Posted Image
Posted Image

Ray: Here is a pair of cavalry/parachutist gloves that are in mint condition. In fact they are still connected by the thread applied in the factory. The wool inserts were in them when I got them probably 10 years ago. The contract info states that they were from a 1932 contract. Here is the front view.

Attached Images

• DSC_0001_Large_Web_view.jpg

#62 Retired

Retired
  • Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:18 PM

Ray: Here is a pair of cavalry/parachutist gloves that are in mint condition. In fact they are still connected by the thread applied in the factory. The wool inserts were in them when I got them probably 10 years ago. The contract info states that they were from a 1932 contract. Here is the front view.

Here is the back view. These are not for sale, by the way. I just thought that you would enjoy seeing them.

Attached Images

• DSC_0003_Large_Web_view.jpg

#63 Retired

Retired
  • Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:19 PM

Here is the back view. These are not for sale, by the way. I just thought that you would enjoy seeing them.

Here is a close-up of the contract stamp. These are marked size 10 1/2.

Attached Images

• DSC_0004_Large_Web_view.jpg

#64 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:34 PM

Nice looking gloves retired
Here's my latest that just came today. I've been looking for a sling for my Winchester Lee Navyfor about six months ever since I got it. Well I finanlly got one. Try to find one on the loose, it's almost impossible. Pictured with my rifle, belt w/suspenders and bayonet, Ray

Posted Image
Posted Image

#65 DevilDan1900

DevilDan1900

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 156
  • 547 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:01 PM

Ray,
now all you need to do is put together a Spanish American War or Boxer Rebellion era Marine display for those fantastic rare USMC pieces you have, hint, hint. Can't wait to see the Win-Lee with the sling mounted. Super nice piece, you must have had to scour the earth for it.

#66 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:08 PM

Ray,
now all you need to do is put together a Spanish American War or Boxer Rebellion era Marine display for those fantastic rare USMC pieces you have, hint, hint. Can't wait to see the Win-Lee with the sling mounted. Super nice piece, you must have had to scour the earth for it.

I know somebody who has a nice SAW Khaki Marine jacket that the gun and belt would lookgreat on, Hint, hint, LOL, Ray

#67 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 344
  • 11,472 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:33 AM

Hi rayq, Thank you for showing your fantastic collection it is a great credit to yourself building a collection as broad and diverse as you have.

I don't wish to detract from your collection but to just raise a warning to yourself and maybe other collectors who own one of the paratroop reflector discs that you mention in post #29 of this thread. Please read the comments on this discs added below.

571. U.S. WWII AIRBORNE REFLECTOR DISK. A metal round disk having a white reflective center that was attached (sewn /clipped) to the helmet of a paratrooper which produces a dim glow that allows other troopers to know where the wearer is in the dark. The reflector has a clip on the backside and the words poison inside . Complete with it=s cloth carrying case. Rare item

The reason these are marked ' Poison' on the rear is that they are highly radioactive, even during WWII they were transported in Lead lined boxes and crates. I can't remember the exact amount but the small lead lined tin boxes held around twenty of these discs, with so many of these boxes to a crate.

A few years back a friend worked at a Ministry of Defence Department here in the U.K., he took one of these discs into the Deparment one day and had the scientists that worked there run a Geiger counter over it. Their conclusion was that these should not be in private hands and certainly not kept within a household where people live, and should the see-through plastic front be cracked that the powder contained within would be deadly if touched or breathed in.

Discussing these discs with a local friend who is a paratroop collector and member of this forum ( Allan-B ), here is an email quote that he sent to me a few weeks later.

One more thing. A friend of mine came for a visit and he took a look at the disc. He is a Doctor of Chemistry. He told me it contained Uranium Oxide and to get it out of the house. It now lives in the garage. A least if we get mice in there again, they will glow in the dark. Cheers Allan-B

To everyone I would suggest extreme caution in owning or handling, displaying or storing these discs.

I have added this with the best of intentions, Regards ( Lewis )

#68 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 04:46 AM

Thank you Lewis, I had heard something about this before but figured they were no more dangerous then the allumius dials on clocks and wrist watches so wasn't that worried in displaying it.
I wonder how much more the geiger counter reading would be as opposed to the clock or other common glow in the dark items.
I can understand shiping a large quanity in a lead box as I'm sure that amount would account for a stronger radioactive source.
After reading your post I will definately take precautions but I would still like to know how dangerous they ready are in order to make a decision to bury it or not.
Maybe it's the cause for my hair loss/thinning, LOL, Ray

#69 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 344
  • 11,472 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:04 AM

Thank you Lewis, I had heard something about this before but figured they were no more dangerous then the allumius dials on clocks and wrist watches so wasn't that worried in displaying it.
I wonder how much more the geiger counter reading would be as opposed to the clock or other common glow in the dark items.
I can understand shiping a large quanity in a lead box as I'm sure that amount would account for a stronger radioactive source.
After reading your post I will definately take precautions but I would still like to know how dangerous they ready are in order to make a decision to bury it or not.
Maybe it's the cause for my hair loss/thinning, LOL, Ray

Hi Ray, I think you will find that there is a much greater quantity and depth of radioactive powder in these discs than on the face of clocks and dials. However even those airplane clocks can kill, about ten to fifteen years ago a Dutch dealer that dealt in these aircraft dials died from handling them. He used to do rebuilds and repairs to the clocks for aircraft presevation people, initially the cancer started on the side of his face where he had used his hand after handling these dials, he had drastic facial surgery to remove the side of his face, but eventually it passed around his body and caused his death.

A few years back there was a documentary on our television over here, it was in regards to a factory in New York or New Jersey that manufactured these dials during WWII, it followed the lives and early deaths of the workers after the war. It also showed photos of the factory all boarded up and fenced off and stated that the land that the factory was on, could not be used for rebuilding due to the radioactive contamination that had seeped into the ground and building structure.

This is quite an emotive thing and I don't wish to raise undue alarm, but it's better to be safe, I disposed of my disc ten years ago, but everyone should make their own choices. Regards ( Lewis )

#70 bfryar44

bfryar44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 90
  • 782 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 06:34 AM

Ken, thanks for the information.

When I was digging at Jack's years ago I unknowingly popped open a bag of Azbestos barrel changing gloves. Needless to say I dropped the bag and got away from them asap.

You never know about this old stuff and the potential harm that it could do to your health. :(

Bfryar44

#71 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 02:57 PM

Retired, I took another look at those gloves of yours. They are really great gloves. Basicissued to the cavarly in the 1920's but then issued to airborne troopers in WWII. Should you ever decide to sell them, plese let me know. Ray

#72 MAS36

MAS36
  • Members
    • Member ID: 778
  • 430 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 08:45 AM

I really like your mannequin displays! the uniforms and gear look much better displayed on a mannequin, it almost brings your displays to life

#73 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 12 April 2007 - 01:35 AM

Thanks Mas36 for the compliments. I agree, the uniforms and gear do look much better displayed on a mannequin as it puts them more in perspective rather then just hanging on a wall or displayed in a case, Ray

#74 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:08 AM

I put all my 1889, 1899, and 1904 hats together for a group/family photo, Ray
Posted Image

#75 SteveR

SteveR
  • Inactive
    • Member ID: 415
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 08:05 AM

I have a lot of junk but nothing like the displays posted here. Truely a superb collection of artifacts. My hat is off to a REAL collector. Thanks so much for the photos. I really enjoy them.
Steve

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

M422A1