• Please log in to reply
594 replies to this topic

#1 rayg

rayg
  • Members
    • Member ID: 89
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:49 AM

First off, I would like to say I just noticed this thread even though I view this forum every day. Guess I'm not as alert as I used to be. I clicked on most of the posts here and was really impressed with the quality of the collections displayed. Congratulations to everyone who posted their items.
Anyway I know some folks may have already seen my collection as I've posted it on other forums over the years. However I really enjoy posting it for a couple of reasons, first it gives me pleasure to show the results of years of collecting and putting together manikin displays complete with all the proper and original uniforms and equipment. Second, I feel that only the folks on this forum and other forums of this type would appreciate the time involved in putting the collection together and as I think we all know, only those who collect this stuff would have any interest it it at all. Ray
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Jeremiah, 30 December 2007 - 03:20 PM.

#2 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:52 AM

3&4
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:56 AM

5&6
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:59 AM

7&8
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:03 AM

9&10
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:07 AM

11&12
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:11 AM

Some MISC. items

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:13 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:16 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:31 AM

Extra 1885,99, and 1902 hats and CW and 1892 saddles

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 06:34 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 DevilDan1900

DevilDan1900

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 156
  • 547 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:05 AM

Ray,
I truly never get tired of seeing shots of your collection. Truly staggering in terms of both items represented and display, top notch! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

#13 yannick

yannick
  • Members
    • Member ID: 418
  • 648 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:52 AM

WOW! Amazing collection! http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/twothumbup.gif A journey in time!!

Yannick

#14 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:05 PM

A couple more photos. My newest one, a Winchester Lee Navy rifle with bayonet and the cartridge belt with the super rare canvas suspenders as well as a couple more M1A1 carbines, Ray

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:16 PM

Thanks for the compliements gentlemen. Hey D dan, I have to talk you out of that SAW khaki jacket to use with my Win-Lee Navy. Love your USMC collection, Ray

#16 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:09 PM

Well as long as I'm on a roll with the photos here's a couple more. Japanese stuff and a 1939 TT-33 Russian that has capture papers. The burnt T-99 on top came out of a bunker that had been hit with a flame thrower. and a 1904 Mcclellan saddle rig.
If any one has any questions about any of the items please ask, Ray
Posted Image
Posted Image

#17 DevilDan1900

DevilDan1900

BANNED

• Banned
  • 547 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 05:07 PM

Ray,
Thanks for the compliments on my collection, doesn't hold a candle to yours though http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif . I'll trade you that Span-Am field tunic for your Winchester Lee rifle and belt, . . . er. . .wait a minute, that would kind of defeat the purpose, wouldn't it? http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/think.gif Can't say I didn't try. You should have hit me up earlier, I just sold a plainer Span Am era one I had on ebay last week, it had later stripes on it though, not as period as the one I have. I know many people, like myself, collect more or less for the enjoyment, but I can't help but think about how much both historical, not to even mention monetary, value you have in that room. I thought I was nervous about fires and such, what do you do to protect your collection?

#18 DevilDan1900

DevilDan1900

BANNED

• Banned
  • 547 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:37 AM

Ray,
A quick question, the photo at the top of post #10, showing your campaign hats, what is the khaki cartridge belt hanging to the right of the German? Is that a khaki version of the Remington Lee Navy belt? Looks like it with the pouches for both clips and single rounds. I have seen these in navy blue before, but never khaki.

#19 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 02:03 PM

D Dan, yes it's an Remington Lee belt for 45/70 cartridges. Dorsey shows one in his book but the one he shows says is for 30 cal or 6mm for the 1899 Rem-Lee. Mine would be for the 1879/82/85 45/70 Lees. One collector told me he saw a tan one like mine that had USMC stamped on it. Ray
Posted Image

#20 copdoc

copdoc
  • Members
    • Member ID: 498
  • 492 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:15 PM

rayg
Fantastic collection, better than most museums. You should be open to the public. How about some close ups of the firearms? copdoc

#21 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:40 PM

How about some close ups of the firearms? copdoc
[/quote]

copdoc, I'd be happy to do it, any in particlur you'd like to see close ups of? Ray

#22 copdoc

copdoc
  • Members
    • Member ID: 498
  • 492 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:31 PM

How about some close ups of the firearms? copdoc
copdoc, I'd be happy to do it, any in particlur you'd like to see close ups of? Ray

I like them all. Hand cannon to light gas guns so I am not hard to please.

If you could take them one maniken at a time and describe the uniform, firearms and equipment that would be very interesting. I know little about uniforms and have developed a recent interest. Most of the uniforms I have had guns wrapped in them. I am glad I have saved the bit and pieces. The saddles are also interesting. Very impressive display and I was serious, better than most museums I have seen.
Thanks copdoc

#23 rayg

rayg
  • Members
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:18 AM

[
If you could take them one maniken at a time and describe the uniform, firearms and equipment that would be very interesting. I know little about uniforms and have developed a recent interest. Most of the uniforms I have had guns wrapped in them. I am glad I have saved the bit and pieces. The saddles are also interesting. Very impressive display and I was serious, better than most museums I have seen.
Thanks copdoc
[/quote]

Is this kind of what you are looking or? The only problem I see is that most folks on this forum are more interested in WWII items and I'm afraid they wouldn't be that interested in the older stuff.
Any way, lets try tis, here is a 1880's IW Cav trooper and my inventory description of the display items.
IW CAVALRY

IW 1880 FIGURE

34. CW CARBINE SLING. Black harness leather with deeply stamped US ordinance inspection marks on the leather, and a large brass buckle and brass tip. Complete with a snap hook with the makers name (O.B. North),stamped on it. This is an all original and uncut over the shoulder sling rig that is not a surplus item in that it shows actual field use where the leather has shrunk from being exposed to the elements and being wet. The leather has age cracks but no flaking and the metal is in excl condt.

54. MOD 1874/85 SHOEMAKER BIT, HEAD STALL, & REINS, rare complete set, includes original leather curb strap. Shoemaker bit with small US rosettes, all black leather with brass buckles, and bullseye brass rossettes on head stall. The bit and leather are in strong excl condition.

240. CW GLOVES/GAUNTLETS, light tan leather gloves with large cuffs (6" X 6-1/2") in near mint condition , They have a feed and livery name ink stamped inside cuffs. Gauntlets were privately purchased by soldiers in the CW. Size 9-1/2

280. MODEL 1883 OVERSHIRT. A rare, regulation issue, blue wool, three button pullover shirt. The shirt is 100% original and matches government specifications. The hard rubber buttons had been replaced with 1883 eagle buttons, A super rare shirt, only a hand full of them are still in existence. There is some minor period re-stitching on the collar and one or two minor repairs in the material. Overall the shirt is in excl condt.

288. MODEL 1880 HUNTING KNIFE. The knife has a wooden handle with a brass guard that is stamped US & Springfield, serial # 3476. Itís in a leather scabbard with a brass hook. The hook is stamped R.I.A., Excl condt.

289. SPRINGFIELD 45-70 CARBINE, 1884 model, serial #379599. Metal has sharp corners with no pitting and an excl bore. Faded case colors on receiver and breech block, brown bbl. The stock is un-sanded and has an 1887 cartouche. Complete with a M1883 milled front sight cover. (Itís missing the retaining screw). Has an original three piece 45/70 cleaning rod in the butt. Overall in exc. condt

287. COLT MODEL SAA 1873 CAVALRY REVOLVER. 45 Long Colt cal, original length 7-1/2" bbl. US marked and DFC inspector's stamps on bbl, cylinder and frame, along with other appropriate markings. Serial # 69527 matches on all parts, loading gate matches frame numbers The grips are dated 1881 and have traces of cartouches on each side.

291. MODEL 1881 HOLSTER. Black leather with a US in an oval on the body. The holster body is still solid not crushed, medium size belt loop. Made for the Colt and Schofield revolvers having two securing holes on the flap, the stencil markings under flap indicating which hole was for which revolver are still faintly visible, original bottom plug. Rock Island arsenal markings on flap are still visible but hard to read. excl condt.

297. CW BOOTS. Dark brown leather. Square toe, wooden pegged soles, 17-1/2" high in front and 14-1/2" in back, leather pull-ons, about size 8-9. The leather is strong and flexible and the boots could be worn. Exc. condition.

312. IW TROUSERS. Well made private purchase heavy wool sky blue 1882/85 pattern trousers with japanned suspender and fly buttons and belted back. Excl condt.

355. 1881/85 CAVALRY BELT. Tan canvas Mills belt made especially for cavalry. First identified in the 1885 Ordinance Memoranda No. 29, but actually made earlier. Large black leather billets that taper down to 1-1/2" wide with a small brass frame buckle, 2" X 2-1/8". On the left side is a leather billet with a brass "D" ring with a dismounted hook for the saber. The belt is the large size #2, with 50, 45 cal loops. Rock Island Arsenal markings are visible on the tip of the uncut billet. (itís rare to find a large size with uncut billets). The letter "E" and the number "6" are stamped in one billet. (Troop E, 6th trooper). The belt is loaded with nineteen (19), 45/55, 405 grain ďcarbineĒ copper cased cartridges, head stamped ďF - 1-87Ē, (Frankfort Arsenal, Jan. 1887). The belt is in excellent condition with no fraying and the cartridges have a nice patina but still retain much of their bright copper color

428. 1885 SABER STRAP ATTACHMENT. Similar to the CW Stuartís pattern with a large brass hook with one long and one short saber stap attached to it. Excl condt

537. 1885 CAMPAIGN HAT, regulation issue style, 6" crown complete with proper 5/8" hatband, 2-1/8" thin wide sweatband, snowflake side vents, and three lines of stitching on the brim, size about 7 to 7-1/8. There is almost no insect damage. The hat ribbon has some minor fraying and fading. Overall the hat is in VG - excellent used condt

514. 1860 CAVALRY SABER, Roby Mfg, dated 1865. VG plus condition blade with no pitting. The grip has 100% wire and leather intact. Most of the brass hilt is still covered with gold GAR paint and the scabbard has some dents but the metal has a nice untouched patina and no pitting. Overall condition is VG to Excellent
Posted Image
Posted Image

#24 DM1975

DM1975
  • Members
    • Member ID: 281
  • 844 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 05:39 AM

That completely blows me away. You have such a nice collection.

#25 Brian D

Brian D
  • Members
    • Member ID: 291
  • 3,723 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:12 AM

Wow, what an absolutely fantastic collection you have!!!!!!! So, how many years has it taken you to collect all of this fantastic stuff? I cannot imagine ever having enough $ in 300 years to purchase all of the beautiful items you have in your "museum". Truly a very nice diversity of items spanning hundreds of years. Something to be very proud of. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us, even if it does make me green with envy! ha :D http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/w00t.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users