Anyone ever seen an M1967 E-tool carrier like this?

flashesandovals

flashesandovals

I have several "standard" ones, but this one appears to be significantly different.

What is it - experimental? What is the date?

Any info is welcome.

Thanks

post-9154-0-91236800-1427627765.jpg

Well that is interesting. It has the typical WWII Marine style hook on the back. Odd the DSA number is not there. All the other M67 gear does. I looked at my Marine m-67 gear and there is no strap to go through the bottom ring. I am at a loss.

Bob

Hello, It is experimental, I have the shovel that goes in it also unmarked, I actually have two. When I show Vietnam collectors they seem to be baffled. The shovel had intricate worm gear to lock it extended. I believe the gears would get dirt and sand in them and would not refold. It was only used for a very short period. And was replaced by the type we still use today. I had it on eBay for awhile, and did not sell it. I had questions about it but no one seemed to know anything about it. I will tell you its Rarer than the shovel for obvious reasons, its Nylon & the shovel is steel. No stamping US or date! Thanks for posting this!

post-87654-0-97534100-1427633927.jpg

flashesandovals

Thank you! There is some sort of number on the carrier, but I cannot read it entirely. It ends with 935 6826, I think.

Are you considering a sale or trade for that extra shovel?

Both terms have been in use interchangeably at the same time. It is equally correct to call it an intrenching tool, or an entrenching tool.

I have one of these covers in my collection. While the construction is good it doesn't have that genuine "feel" to me. I've never seen one of these in any of the period test reports or manuals. Even the experimental covers I have show up somewhere in a report or manual. The hook is the standard M1943 e-tool carrier hook and not the Marine Corps style hook. As Bob said it doesn't "fit" the Marine Corp M-1967 pack system. My opinion is that these were made for a foreign government or the surplus market. The one in my collection lacks the DSA contract number as well.

Tim

I know the shift to Entrentching. During WWII, in all the manuals I've seen, it called Intrenching. I was just curious if anyone knew when it shifted (like scanning through post-war manuals).

Charlie

• 2 years later...

I found such an "intrenching" tool cover recently at a surplus store. I believe it is part of the USMC M1967 gear that was tested after Vietnam but never issued in large numbers. There is an article from a 1971 article in Leatherneck magazine that mentions the gear. Photos from the article are posted on this site. One can see in the pbotos that the cover is not a good fit for the M1967 pack, but it is used and the pack has the holes for the hooks. Anyway the cover is marked US so not for foreign sale. The Army switched to metal slide flasteners with th M1956 gear, so not for the US Army. Hence, I think it might be for Marine Corps use c. 1971.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Here are the photos. Note the brownish colored nylon trim that is occasionally seen in the nylon gear of this era.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

• 6 years later...

Somewhat older thread that I wanted to bring back to see if anyone has any new information on this cover.  I recently acquired one, it was attached to a medium ALICE ruck.  The e-tool that was inside was in rough shape, rusty etc. so I put it aside without looking at it closely.  Need to dig it out and see if it is the common one or the experimental shovel mentioned in this thread.