Jewish Dog Tags

cutiger83

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Jewish soldiers had the option to not put an H on their dog tags in case they were captured. I have tried searching but have not been able to find proof that this was an option.

Has anyone seen this fact documented?

Thanks, Kat.

in ww2 there were 3 options "P" "C" and "H" for Protestant, Catholic, and Hebrew. there is a 4th option said to exist but to my knowledge is unproven which was "NO" for no preference.

Jewish soldiers as far as i know (i've spoken to only one) had the option to change their tag to Protestant or Catholic. but the H signified Hebrew or Jewish

in ww2 there were 3 options "P" "C" and "H" for Protestant, Catholic, and Hebrew. there is a 4th option said to exist but to my knowledge is unproven which was "NO" for no preference.

Jewish soldiers as far as i know (i've spoken to only one) had the option to change their tag to Protestant or Catholic. but the H signified Hebrew or Jewish

I knew about the 3 options but I have not found proof that they had the option to change their tag. Is it documented anywhere or is it something someone heard from someone....

...Kat

i have read it before (i'll look for the place where i read it) but i heard it from the soldier he said he had the option but he said he kept his because he wasnt afraid to be a Jew

When doing a google search, I found mention of soldiers scratching out their tags to remove the H but nothing saying they had an option not to have the H.

...Kat

RustyCanteen

I found a mention that they threw away their dog tags altogether, but nothing about being allowed to choose to leave it off. I would imagine though, that it would have been something that could be done. If non-religious G.I.'s had no preference stamped, then it was probably an optional thing.

I found a mention that they threw away their dog tags altogether, but nothing about being allowed to choose to leave it off. I would imagine though, that it would have been something that could be done. If non-religious G.I.'s had no preference stamped, then it was probably an optional thing.

as far as leaving it off all together ive only found this little thing...

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/22/opinion/l-in-world-war-ii-many-jewish-gi-s-left-religion-off-dog-tags-470333.html

There were also those who had a J for Jewish preference. I have two examples of these, and none of them show any signs of attempts at obscuring the stamp

In one of the books on Task Force Baum, a vet describes being worried that the his German captors would see the "H". Sure enough, one of the guards going through the line of new POWs asked him what the "H" meant. He replied "Heer" which is German for Army. The guard didn't question why an American soldier would have an abbreviation for a German word on his identity tag, but just accepted it and moved on.

That's quick thinking if you ask me.

RichiesRelics

In the documentary "Surviving DDay" one of the vets talks about this. From what I remember, he said that he had the choice to leave the H off altogether. He decided to keep the H on his dog tag, and even painted the star of David on the back of his jacket prior to the invasion. I guess he was not afraid what would happen to him if he was captured...

Richie

In the documentary "Surviving DDay" one of the vets talks about this. From what I remember, he said that he had the choice to leave the H off altogether. He decided to keep the H on his dog tag, and even painted the star of David on the back of his jacket prior to the invasion. I guess he was not afraid what would happen to him if he was captured...Richie

yeah that was that really inaccurate documentary lol but from what I understand the stories were true just inaccurate gear and things

Cobrahistorian

My Grandfather's and several that I own have the H. I have encountered a J (and initially thought it was a fake, the thread may still be on here somewhere), and discovered it is legit. Looked like it was a late-war thing though.

Jake,

But that is right what Richie said. The veteran who did that was Harold Baumgarten of B/116. In interviews he confirmed that he did that. Even though the documentary isn't great, that is true.

Dave

But that is right what Richie said. The veteran who did that was Harold Baumgarten of B/116. In interviews he confirmed that he did that.

Dave

Dave,

I saw the interview too. This was one veteran who said he had the option to leave off the H. I have not found any other documented proof that soldiers had the option.

Has anyone seen documented proof? It may not exist. Word of mouth can get changed over the years.

...Kat

Wharfmaster

During WW2, by regulation, religious preference on dog tags was optional for USN, USMC & USCG.

I would guess Army and Air Corps was the same.

Wharf

During WW2, by regulation, religious preference on dog tags was optional for USN, USMC & USCG.

I would guess Army and Air Corps was the same.

Wharf

Thanks for your input. So this was an option for all faiths?

...Kat

Wharfmaster

Thanks for your input. So this was an option for all faiths?

...Kat

Yes, not required for anyone. However, If a person did request it, the letter P, C, or H was to be used during WW2.

Wharf

Yes, not required for anyone. However, If a person did request it, the letter P, C, or H was to be used during WW2.

Wharf

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but do you have a copy of the regulations saying it was optional? From what I have been able to find, only one or two people said it was optional where a lot more said they "altered" their dog tags to remove the letter.

...Kat

Wharfmaster

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but do you have a copy of the regulations saying it was optional? From what I have been able to find, only one or two people said it was optional where a lot more said they "altered" their dog tags to remove the letter.

...Kat

Bureau of Naval Personnel Manual 1942, corrected to June 1946.

We assume soldiers that removed religious preference from their tags did it in Europe long after their first or second set of tags were issued.

Wharf

Bureau of Naval Personnel Manual 1942, corrected to June 1946.

We assume soldiers that removed religious preference from their tags did it in Europe long after their first or second set of tags were issued.

Wharf

Thanks. I appreciate it....Kat

Jake,

But that is right what Richie said. The veteran who did that was Harold Baumgarten of B/116. In interviews he confirmed that he did that. Even though the documentary isn't great, that is true.

Dave

Here's the clip and actually it is the same as what I said however. It is not him who says it it is the documentary narrator who says it.D-Day Landings Commence | Surviving D-Day:

• 1 year later...