Special Forces Grouping - Patches, pins, etc

BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria

I found some of these pieces last month, and have slowly but surely been putting it back together. I have a couple more small things left to get, but I think its pretty much as complete as its gonna get. I missed a couple of things, including a 5th SF flash, but i got most of it.

Named to Danny Gagich out of North Carolina. I have not dug too deep, but he served in Korea and Vietnam. I really like the SF patch with the blue tab, that has been on a uniform for sure at some point. A few patches on the bottom dont really connect , but they were with the stuff, so it will all stay together. Im usually a uniform or helmet guy, but this is a really cool little group!

thanks for looking!

Jay

post-52765-0-76462300-1427512081.jpg

post-52765-0-35490600-1427512082.jpg

Nice Jay! I have some of his other items including one of his tags. Looks like you got a good portion of the group. I have a photo of Gagish and will post it.

BigDogMilitaria

found another picture of him thanks to USDog. Gagich is on the right. Really cool pic. Having pictures of these great men really elevates these groupings.

post-52765-0-37051200-1427516395.jpg

kyhistorian01

Here is an excerpt from his obituary if you don't already have it and I would guess the non related patches belonged to family members that he kept over the years. Nice group!

Services entrusted to Saint Pauls Funeral Home of St. Pauls.

Services: Funeral, 2 p.m. Tuesday in Old Dock United Methodist Church. Burial in church cemetery.

Visitation: 7 to 8:30 p.m. Monday at McKenzie Mortuary in Whiteville.

Survived by: Husband, Jerry; son, Kevin; sister, Kay; and a granddaughter.

He was born in Wheelwright, Ky., to Petar and Mary S. Gagich. He was preceded in death by a brother, Mike Gagich.

Danny retired after serving 20 years in the Army, but not before two tours in the Korean War and two tours in the Vietnam War. He also served with the Green Berets, Special Forces and 82nd Airborne, where he made numerous jumps. During one of his tours on Fort Bragg, he served as an instructor in the John F. Kennedy Center for Special Warfare. In preparation for one of his tours in Vietnam, he completed 1,410 hours of instruction in the Saigon dialect of the Vietnamese language from the Academy of Language Studies in El Paso, Texas.

His awards included six USA Good Conduct medals, Army of Occupation medal, National Defense medal, Korean Service medal, Repiblic of Vietnam Campaign medal, Armed Forces Expeditionary medal and two Presidential United Citations. After retirement, Danny spent much of his time in the woods hunting.

A funeral service will be conducted at 2 p.m. Monday, Jan. 23, 2006, at First Baptist Church by Dr. Len Keever. Burial with full military honors will follow in Greenwood Cemetery.

Mr. Gagich is survived by his wife, Louise M. Gagich of Dunn; six brothers, Alex Gagich of Mammoth, W.Va., Joe Gagich of Cedar Grove, W.Va., and George Gagich, Paul Gagich and Sam Gagich, all of Bristol, Ind., and Nick Gagich of Mesa, Ariz.; and five sisters, Milly Scelza of Altamonte Springs, Fla., Helen Gagich of Monmouth Junction, N.J., Jo Ann Leff of Roosevelt, N.J., Patty Noto of Staten, N.J., and Gwin Lyons of Goshen, Ind.

The family will receive friends Monday from 1 to 2 p.m. at First Baptist Church.

The family requests, in lieu of flowers, that memorials be made to First Baptist Church, 309 W. Broad St., Dunn, NC 28334.

kyhistorian01

You also may want to know that a few of his artifacts are at the General william C. Lee Airborne museum as I found the following pic and caption on a facebook site.

"FRIEND" our site if you enjoy these older Airborne -military items/photos. Nice small display of commemorative type coins for the US Army and two for US Army Special Forces encased in a plastic display. These belonged to Special Forces (ABN) Sgt. Danny Gagich who served in Korea and Vietnam. General William C. Lee Airborne Museum Collection. Dunn, N.C.

post-6492-0-26017700-1427546646.jpg

found another picture of him thanks to USDog. Gagich is on the right. Really cool pic. Having pictures of these great men really elevates these groupings.

Wow! Is that him in vietnam?

Some more info.

Name: Danny Gagich

Birth Date: 15 Oct 1930

Death Date: 20 Jan 2006

Branch 1: A

Enlistment Date 1: 21 Mar 1967

Release Date 1: 31 Mar 1971

BigDogMilitaria

Wow! Is that him in vietnam?

Yep. This is the caption

"FRIEND" our site if you enjoy these older Airborne photos/items. Great photo of two brothers in Vietnam in the 60's. The soldier on the right is Sergeant First Class Danny Gagich, Headquarters Company 3rd Special Forces Group Airborne. (His brothers name is not listed). Also included is a letter of high recommendation signed by MG William P. Yarborough. Items from the General William C. Lee Airborne Museum Collection. Dunn, N.C.

BigDogMilitaria

the last bit of it that I was able to save included 3 of his MIlitary IDs. Two of the were after his retirement, but this one is from his active days.

post-52765-0-58061900-1427820181.jpg

post-52765-0-19308000-1427820182.jpg

firefighter

the last bit of it that I was able to save included 3 of his MIlitary IDs. Two of the were after his retirement, but this one is from his active days.

Interesting ID card. I always thought a SFC was an E-7, not 6.

• 4 months later...

I have a box of documents with the name Danny Gagich from Dunn, NC. They are mostly special forces handbooks and testing materials. There is also a laminated picture taken in Vietnam. I haven't been through the box in awhile. Everything is in great shape for its age! A lot is even still in the original manila envelopes. If you are interested let me know. I will be happy to take pics and get more details about the content.

riflegreen297

Just discovered this thread about MSG ® Gagich. Here is his Obit from the SFA Spring 2006 THE DROP. Unfortunately, no photo with it.

post-4227-0-92058400-1438995531.jpg