KW USMC DESK PLATE

hirsca

Estate sale find today. Looks to be theater made for this desk jockey. Very heavy. Some sort of hard rubber I would guess. Does not have rank unfortunately. Can anyone translate for me? Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-85930800-1427491577.jpg

post-12790-0-47877000-1427491596.jpg

post-12790-0-87464400-1427491628.jpg

post-12790-0-26931700-1427491645.jpg

My Korean translators tell me:

Chung Nam - province in South Korea. Located in south west part of Korea between Kwangju and Mokpo.

Dai Cheon - is a city in that province.

Hope that helps.

AZ Abn

My Korean translators tell me:

Chung Nam - province in South Korea. Located in south west part of Korea between Kwangju and Mokpo.

Dai Cheon - is a city in that province.

Hope that helps.

AZ Abn

Many thanks AZ Abn.

Al

Nice one USdog. Looks like there was an active cottage industry making these. Is yours triangular shaped and very heavy?

Thanks, Al.

I'm not surprised. Koreans do elaborate and skillfully made plaques. Some of the best plaques

I got while in the Army came from Korea. Especially in Seoul City, by Samgaki circle, which is

by where the ROK MND HQ is. They have many speciality and plaque shops, plus in Itaewon.

Plaques, challenge coins, calling cards, etc, if you can design it, they can make it and make it GOOD!

These days, for desk name plates they do elaborate, skillfully made mother of pearl, they are beautiful

and top any desk wonderfully.

AZ Abn

Hirsca,

I have no firm idea what the name plates may have been made of. What ever it was, it was

fairly common during 52 (war years) up to 58 (post war). As the others said, it is heavy,

it may be some sort of a black ceramic which allowed the maker to carve out flags, dragons,

names on the plates. This is fairly common in Korea.

AZ Abn

Hirsca,

I have no firm idea what the name plates may have been made of. What ever it was, it was

fairly common during 52 (war years) up to 58 (post war). As the others said, it is heavy,

it may be some sort of a black ceramic which allowed the maker to carve out flags, dragons,

names on the plates. This is fairly common in Korea.

AZ Abn

Also, do you notice that the in the examples posted here, none had the rank on them. Maybe to preserve the usefulness of the desk plate as the Soldier or Marine advance in rank. Like most civilian office name plates today usually don't have the person's title.

Thanks Al