Trench spike?

popcorn

Hi. Just picked this up. It's made from what looks like a cruciform bayonet with a wickedly sharp tip. The crudely made handle is 4.5 inches and the blade/spike is 7.5 inches. I definitely would not want to be on the receiving end of it! Maybe a bayonet reworked into a trench knife? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

post-91916-0-00097700-1427469975.jpg

Popcorn-Sorry, but I may have news you might not want to hear. These came up before a couple years back. Back in the 80s, one of the surplus companies was making these and selling them as "D-Day Knives". Now, the blade on this one looks a little sturdier than the repros. I have a picture in a book that I had posted at that time somewhere. The pic I have, the knife is very well made, and not darkened, but finished bright. Supposedly the were made from French Lebel 1886 bayonets, with British Spike Bayonet scabbards. SKIP

It looks like a blade from a the French MAS spike bayonet and has that general shape. It could also be a blade section from a French Lebel bayonet.

Popcorn-Sorry, but I may have news you might not want to hear. These came up before a couple years back. Back in the 80s, one of the surplus companies was making these and selling them as "D-Day Knives". Now, the blade on this one looks a little sturdier than the repros. I have a picture in a book that I had posted at that time somewhere. The pic I have, the knife is very well made, and not darkened, but finished bright. Supposedly the were made from French Lebel 1886 bayonets, with British Spike Bayonet scabbards. SKIP

Thanks for the info. It was cheap and I thought interesting so I bought it without knowing exactly the origins of it. It is very sturdy. I'll keep it as a neat curiosity fantasy piece. It certainly would be an effective weapon.

It looks like a blade from a the French MAS spike bayonet and has that general shape. It could also be a blade section from a French Lebel bayonet.

Thank you. Even though it's a fantasy piece I think the bayonet part is original.

I got my own share of fantasy pieces. If you didn't overpay for it I'd call the transaction a success. :)

I agree. At first I figured maybe a prison shank until I noticed the bayonet bade or spike. At least it wasn't labelled D-Day knife LOL. Thanks again.

This is the pic I was talking about. If it will post. SKIP

Thank you! The one I have appears to be hand made rather than done at an armory. The handle looks much cruder.

Popcorn-The commercial/repros were OK! Blades were thinner. But that's what they were. I would hate to get "stuck" by one. Check around some of the repro sites, might find one still available. SKIP

Popcorn-The commercial/repros were OK! Blades were thinner. But that's what they were. I would hate to get "stuck" by one. Check around some of the repro sites, might find one still available. SKIP

I did do a quick search and saw them. I might just get one if I find one available. The handles are more refined than the one I have and they do look pretty cool. No buyers remorse on my end. It is what it is and I still like it. You identified it very quickly!! Thanks again for all your help!!

Hang on to it! At least as an example! You never know, it seems better made than most others. Could end up being real. They did exist. SKIP

Hang on to it! At least as an example! You never know, it seems better made than most others. Could end up being real. They did exist. SKIP

I certainly will but I'm not getting my hopes up LOL. I do think the bayo portion is real but it looks like the repros used old bayos as well.

Just for fun I checked out "IMA" to see what was new. They are now selling an LF&C stamped M1917 trench knife, plus the correct scabbard marked "JEWELL 1918". Just took a quick look. It wasn't bad when the scabbards were marked "Prairie Flower", but this is a new ball game. Scary stuff! Study up before you buy! SKIP

Thanks again for all your feedback. The one at IMA does look very cool. I think it is a little smaller than mine. The site lists the blade 6.5 inches long. On mine the blade is 7.5 inches long with an overall length of 12 inches. Very close in length to the picture posted by SKIP(8 inch blade/12 inches over all).I checked out Franks reproduction page. Great info in it.