Last day on IWO March 26th ,Killed by the last Japanese Force,Very Sad

Raidercollector

Raidercollector

Here is a grouping I have to show you on the Last day on Iwo Jima before the Island was secured,Very sad he was Killed the Last Day of Fighting.. The Night of March 26th 1945 ( D plus 35 ) It was all Quiet just before Dawn, Then with out a warning ,a force of several hundred Japanese who had been apparently been hiding in a by passed caves moved down from the north. Apparently driving for the ships loading area on the western beaches. The over ran the Bivouacs of newly arrived Army Air Force units and seabee's ( both where hard HIt ) and got into the bivouac area of the 5th Pioneer Battalion, On this unit fell the main burden of repelling the attack and destroying the Japanese troops. As the Japanese attempted to move into C Company 's Bivouac Lieutenant Harry s. martin quickly organized a firing line to check them.Determined to rescue several men trapped in a position overrun by the enemy, he defied intense fire to work his way to the surrounded marines. Although wounded twice Martin Blasted the enemy troops who blocked his way, located the beleaguered men,and directed them into the marines lines. This is probably where He was Killed. 223 Japanese where dead, 196 of whom fell in the Pioneer Bn Area. This Marine unit Lost 9 Killed and 31 Wounded. It was noted that a lot of Japanese where carrying carbines and Bar,s .40 of them had swords,which meant their where a lot of Officer's. Some had previous wounds. This Marine was from Chicago IL.

post-421-0-08992200-1427392547.jpg

post-421-0-92255400-1427392576.jpg

post-421-0-20102600-1427392601.jpg

post-421-0-40551300-1427392635.jpg

ViewfinderGyrene

Wow, that's one helluva group. A member of 8th Field Depot I spoke with remembers surveying the area of the attack the following morning. It wasn't a good sight by any means. All on the island were shocked. Correct me if I'm wrong but all the ammo stores were crated up by then, and the Marines, Seabees, and AAF personnel had to use hand-tools and other implements to fight back, or melee the Japanese with their empty weapons? In Kickler's case, being in the Engineers, they may have employed E-tools to beat then back?

Raidercollector

I do know it was Hand to Hand fighting with Pistols Rifles and Grenades. Martin was wounded by a Grenade . He had to retake a Machine gun pit that the Japanese had overrun.By throwing g renades at them. He earned the Medal of Honor during this Last battle. I need to get his file.

Nick

Raidercollector

This was his commander Harry Martins MOH Citation

Medal of Honor citation

The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR posthumously to

FIRST LIEUTENANT HARRY L. MARTIN
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS RESERVE

for service as set forth in the following CITATION:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as Platoon Leader attached to Company C, Fifth Pioneer Battalion, Fifth Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima,
, 26 March 1945. With his sector of the Fifth Pioneer Battalion
area penetrated by a concentrated enemy attack launched a few minutes before dawn, First Lieutenant Martin instantly organized a firing line with the Marines nearest his foxhole and succeeded, in checking momentarily the headlong rush of the Japanese. Determined to rescue several of his men trapped in positions overrun by the enemy, he defied intense hostile fire to work his way through the Japanese to the surrounded Marines. Although sustaining two severe wounds, he blasted the Japanese who attempted to intercept him, located his beleaguered men and directed them to their own lines. When four of the infiltrating enemy took possession of an abandoned
pit and subjected his sector to a barrage of
, First Lieutenant Martin alone and armed only with a pistol, boldly charged the hostile position and killed all its occupants. Realizing that his remaining comrades could not repulse another organized attack, he called to his men to follow and then charged into the midst of the strong enemy force, firing his weapon and scattering them until he fell, mortally wounded by a grenade. By his outstanding valor, indomitable fighting spirit and tenacious determination in the face of overwhelming odds, First Lieutenant Martin permanently disrupted a coordinated Japanese attack and prevented a greater loss of life in his own and adjacent platoons and his inspiring leadership and unswerving devotion to duty reflect the highest credit upon himself and the
. He gallantly gave his life in service of his country.

/S/ HARRY S. TRUMAN

on the 26th of March

Nick

ViewfinderGyrene

This was his commander Harry Martins MOH Citation

Medal of Honor citation

The President of the United States takes pride in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR posthumously to

FIRST LIEUTENANT HARRY L. MARTIN

UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS RESERVE

for service as set forth in the following CITATION:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as Platoon Leader attached to Company C, Fifth Pioneer Battalion, Fifth Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima,
, 26 March 1945. With his sector of the Fifth Pioneer Battalion
area penetrated by a concentrated enemy attack launched a few minutes before dawn, First Lieutenant Martin instantly organized a firing line with the Marines nearest his foxhole and succeeded, in checking momentarily the headlong rush of the Japanese. Determined to rescue several of his men trapped in positions overrun by the enemy, he defied intense hostile fire to work his way through the Japanese to the surrounded Marines. Although sustaining two severe wounds, he blasted the Japanese who attempted to intercept him, located his beleaguered men and directed them to their own lines. When four of the infiltrating enemy took possession of an abandoned
pit and subjected his sector to a barrage of
, First Lieutenant Martin alone and armed only with a pistol, boldly charged the hostile position and killed all its occupants. Realizing that his remaining comrades could not repulse another organized attack, he called to his men to follow and then charged into the midst of the strong enemy force, firing his weapon and scattering them until he fell, mortally wounded by a grenade. By his outstanding valor, indomitable fighting spirit and tenacious determination in the face of overwhelming odds, First Lieutenant Martin permanently disrupted a coordinated Japanese attack and prevented a greater loss of life in his own and adjacent platoons and his inspiring leadership and unswerving devotion to duty reflect the highest credit upon himself and the
. He gallantly gave his life in service of his country.

/S/ HARRY S. TRUMAN

on the 26th of March

Nick

So Nick was C Company the only Company involved in the attack, or were there others who took part?

Raidercollector

VFG, From what I have read there where A B and C Pioneer company's that where involved ,C company was the first to get attacked then A and B company joined in the assault to repel the Japanese back. The sebee,s and army air corps where there to. I read one of the c company marines used a screw driver to attack a Japanese solider . What a Fight.

Nick

ViewfinderGyrene

You got that right, reminds me of one on Peleliu where they were literally throwing empty ammo and ration crates at them!

Nick -

Once again, another fabulous grouping and another Chicagoan! As a fellow Chicagoan I am loving these! Thanks for posting -

Best,

Bill K.

Amazing group, terribly sad story. I can't imagine getting through the entire campaign only to be killed on the last day. Sadly, two Marines in my last command were killed during the transport back to Dwyer from Marjah when our unit was rotating out, those have always been some of the most haunting, despite my not arriving at the unit until the following month when they had returned and having not known them.

Raidercollector

Here is his Causality Card, Showing He had a GSW to the Head, Very sad. Hope that the Japanese did not sneak up on him. And he died Fighting.

Nick

post-421-0-55128100-1427717850.jpg

ww2airborne

Wow nice grouping and nice story. It is nice when you track down information how they were killed.

Damon

WW2Airborne

ViewfinderGyrene

Here is his Causality Card, Showing He had a GSW to the Head, Very sad. Hope that the Japanese did not sneak up on him. And he died Fighting.

Nick

How do you find the detailed Casualty Cards that list nature of wound? I can only find the listed enteries on MCU that don't show the actual card or list nature of wound...

Thanks for posting Nick, adds even more depth to an already fantastic group!

Raidercollector

VFG

The causality Card info is in individual-and-unit-research. I just email them and they send me the Info,

Thanks for the Nice Comments. I truly enjoy the research. I have much more to dig out of the bunker. Will have my collection soon in displays , Still organizing my uniforms and lighting.

Nick

ViewfinderGyrene

VFG

The causality Card info is in individual-and-unit-research. I just email them and they send me the Info,

Thanks for the Nice Comments. I truly enjoy the research. I have much more to dig out of the bunker. Will have my collection soon in displays , Still organizing my uniforms and lighting.

Nick

Oh what a day that'll be :o;)B)

I found a thread titled " Marine Corps Casualty cards are now online", Started by MilitaryResearchAssociates, is this what you're referring to in Individual & Unit Research? That I jsut email MCU and they send it to me free?

• 11 months later...
Raidercollector

Back to the top of this Group ,For the anniversary of the last battle fought on Iwo Jima,Where Some marines had Died fighting for are country ,From the last Japanese BANZAI CHARGE !! March 26, 1945