Big lot of USMC reversible camo

Bob Hudson

Got this today and while there are just five pieces of the vintage camo, that's a big find for me because I don't think I've ever found a single such item in over 10 years of picking in a community full of retired Marines.

There's a bunch of other stuff on the table with the three camo trousers and two camo shirts: HBT's, cotton sateens, 50's and early 60's Vandegrift jackets and 1950's khakis, that sort of thing (oh, a nice long bayo).

0.jpg

There is a really nice near-mint matched set among these:

1a.jpg

2.jpg

7.jpg

And this salty "named" set with some interesting marks from someone who apparently called himself "El Tony."

1.jpg

2.jpg

"El Tony," along with the "cross," is written in many places on the cover, coat and pants:

7.jpg

Fantastic finds, Bob! Very ironic since (IIRC) you recently made similar comments about not finding any local frog skin pattern camouflage helmet covers in your area full of retired Marines. No cover, but certainly better, especially with the P42 and P44 sets!

I thought I had two coats and three pants, but when I posed them for a group photo it turned out there are four pairs of trousers, two of them in really nice condition.

10.jpg

As I said, these were part of a bigger lot of older uniform items. I always love to find the classic HBT: it is the iconic Marine Corps combat uniform of WWII and Korea. The camo is way cool, but the plain ones were what most Marines actually wore to battle.

11.jpg

Standard late war Pattern 44

Nice haul on the camo.

Thanks - I don't recall ever seeing that style of pocket. Is it used at all on the non-camo HBT's?

Thanks - I don't recall ever seeing that style of pocket. Is it used at all on the non-camo HBT's?

No...this pocket was specific to the P44 camos.There are varations in the pocket flaps as well as a variation in the pattern.Some had belt loops and the others had slots in the waist band opposed to external belt loops.Just changes in the model/pattern.

There is a pocket on the rear of non camo hbt P44 uniforms.This pocket was removed fairly often when worn.It had a button flap closure and also side/thigh pockets.

No...this pocket was specific to the P44 camos.There are varations in the pocket flaps as well as a variation in the pattern.Some had belt loops and the others had slots in the waist band opposed to external belt loops.Just changes in the model/pattern.

There is a pocket on the rear of non camo hbt P44 uniforms.This pocket was removed fairly often when worn.It had a button flap closure and also side/thigh pockets.

Thanks. These have the slots in the wasitband.

Bob

There has always been a story floating around in the collector circle that the P44 camos were developed to go under the last pattern of the marine camo para smock as an under suit as the smocks were discarded after jumping in theory.The para marines were disbanded and much of the designed clothing for them found their way into the system.I have never been able to find any information to confirm this about the P44 camos being designed for para marine use.

The P44s have chest pockets like the last pattern jump smock so maybe over the years this theory had gotten a start.

I want to take all that camo, put it on the floor and roll around in it! Heck, maybe I can lay on them and make camo-angels instead of snow-angels! Stupendous!

These USMC camos and other Marine items that came with the camo were Part 1 of a two-part buy. Today I went back for Part 2, which was 8 duffle bags packed tight with boots, ACU, BDU and other utility uniforms, field gear and gosh knows what else. The USMC stuff would have fit into one seabag with room left over. So Part 2 was more than eight times as much in volume, but I'm just hoping for a swap meet seller to take all 8 bags of the modern stuff so I don't have to toss these things around too much.

1.jpg

Here's the contents of just three of the bags -

2.jpg

Any dimonds in the rough in those bags?

I don't know - hopefully someone will buy them so I don't have to do the considerable job of sorting and storing all of that: this is the starter kit for a 21st century surplus store :)

Luckily I am house sitting this week at a place with an empty three-car garage where I can do a lot sorting of the USMC things and have some space to layout some of the contents onto the garage floor. If I was at home I'd have room for maybe one or two of the dufflebags in my garage and zero room to spread the contents of even one on the floor.

Again: this is about one-third of bags contents:

3.jpg

4.jpg

Here's a couple of things that came in the same batch as the camo:

16-inch 1943-dated:

1.jpg

1.jpg

1.jpg