82nd Airborne Glider Ike from Ebay - What am i missing?

BigDogMilitaria

BigDogMilitaria

I was watching this one since it came out of my hometown of Eastpointe, Michigan. I was thinking maybe 4-500 max. It ended at 1525. What am i missing? I see one invasion arrowhead. Is it possible the DI? I was not aware of 82nd Glider Artillery uniforms going anywhere near this high. Nice uniform for whomever got it, just curious what I did not see on it.

Jay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-WW2-US-Army-82nd-Airborne-Paratrooper-Jacket-with-Patches-/251881243769?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=IbcCrZ9Z3umRbKRNsN3wX%252BuyB%252BU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I was watching that one too Jay, the wings were nice, had two battle stars, and the DI I think is rather hard to find for the 319th GFAB. I still don't think it's worth that much. Maybe the seller had more stuff, and just didn't post it?

My guess is that it was the appeal of buying direct from the family, with the hope that more stuff would be for sale if the money talked. Or maybe someone really, really wanted a named Normandy jacket, and if it's a silver / bronze campaign star combo, I'd guess he was with the unit from Sicily through the end of the war. I thought it might hit $900, but I was surprised by the final price, too. Oh well, two people wanted it badly enough.

aussie digger

I too was watching and bidding on that one. I had been in contact with the seller about getting info on the vet if I won and besides the shirt that was listed I dont know of anything else from the vet. I was expecting $800-$900, and was stunned by what it bought so didnt end up adding that one to the collection!

I was watching it too. It is an interesting unit, and I believe the DI is rare. Nice set of wings too, but way too much for it imo. Also I dont believe the jacket was actually named

BigDogMilitaria

Interesting thoughts! Well, if anyone did get it, and needs some help with research, feel free to contact me, I dont mind doing a little leg work for a fellow forum member.

Its actually really tough to put a price on items like this. Direct from the family is neat. I will pay a premium to a family member, but that is a lot of $$ for what I see in the auction

I was watching this also. I could not believe what it ended at. It went for WAY, WAY more than what it's actual worth for the sum of the items on the jacket.

Matt

With a sale like this all one can do is sit back, scratch his head and say "what the hell just happened?" Which is what I did! No matter how you slice it....that is a $400 to $500 jacket, that's it. The DI is the easiest of all the Airborne Artillery ones to acquire. In fact I forgot about this one as I was going to bid on it last night as it was mismarked and went for nothing!!! Maybe a $75 to $100 DI.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-US-315th-Artillery-DI-pin-back-NS-Meyer-marked-/361244940839?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541be05a27

When I stated the DI was the easiest of all the AA ones to find I believe I need to clarify....none of them are easy to find, just that this one seems to pop up more than the others do. Alex

BigJohn#3RD

It looks like the campaign stars are silver and bronze so the veteran served in Italy so it looks like this uniform belonged to a high point soldier who more than likely returned shortly after VE Day that and the fact he is a "glider rider" from an artillery unit which makes it less common than PIR units so it could command a higher price just on that alone. Add to it the glider wings w two combat stars and the DUI with ID to a veteran you have the motivation of an advanced collector who has the money to body it up.

Would I pay that much no but than again I'm not trying to fill a hole in a collection nor would I want to pay that much for an Ike. Just an observation.

Was following this as well and was really surprised. I agree that a full 82nd tour Ike is hard to find, add in a family purchase with the ability to fully research. Unless there was more treasure from the family, this was a bidding war gone nuclear.