It only took 25 years

30-30remchester

30-30remchester

I seldom post, but sitting here alone as my wife is visiting our grandkids, I started a search online for the owner of a knife I have in my collection. I bought this knife over 25 years ago in a pawn shop in Grand Junction, Colorado. The knife is a plain vanilla type of homemade knife with a well built sheath. On the sheath an inscription reading " AAF Jack L. Zimmatore 0-782102". For years I have hit a brick wall researching the knife. I was and still am quite computer illiterate. Today I sat down and started again. Through dumb luck I got a whiff of a possible missing airman report with the same last name. Finally after several hours I have accumulated enough information to make a report. Jack was a P-38 pilot and stationed at Shemya air force base in Alaska. This is a small island near Attu. On July 22, 1946 Jack had just completed his required time and was scheduled to return home the following day. With permission he took one last flight in his P-38 with another pilot as a wingman to get photos of him flying his plane. Something went wrong and his plane nosed into the water 3 miles off a remote island. His body was never recovered. Finally I have completed a long quest. How this knife ended up in a Colorado pawn shop will never be known. If the forum is interested I can have my wife post a picture of the knife when she returns Wednesday. A written copy of my finding will be kept with this knife, so it will forever be a reminder of a lost airman. Goodnight Jack.

Charles1966

Likewise, good story all be it sad. Most likely, it's been quite a long time, since it's been told...

30-30remchester

My misses will be home tomorrow and I will have her send pictures. As stated in my original post, I am quite tech challenged. Hell my laptop is so old it is a woodburner.

Thank you for this interesting story. RIP Jack L. Zimmatore.
I am looking forward seeing photo of this knife.