WW1 Navy Uniform

mortarman

David Minton

I collect US Navy enlisted insignia from 1905-48 and don't recognize it. The spacing between the stripes on the cuffs also looks off for USN.

Thanks for the reply. I don't collect Navy uniforms so I am unfamiliar with the details. The photo was taken in Falls River, Mass, but that doesn't mean the sailor is in the USN.

post-96874-0-50580900-1427067948.jpg

I agree that he is not USN. Badge looks to have a crown over the star. The neckerchief is tiney, completely wrong for USN. I do believe he IS American due to the styling of the uniform, but not Navy nor Revenue Marine/Coast Guard

Maybe Canadian Sea Scouts (Cadets), a part of Boy Scouts? the star on the sleeve could be for Star rank scout. If it is he would have Agamemnon on his cap.

post-87451-0-04682800-1427119050.jpg

Maybe Canadian Sea Scouts (Cadets), a part of Boy Scouts? the star on the sleeve could be for Star rank scout. If it is he would have Agamemnon on his cap.

image.jpg

No, uniform is totally different. Canada used Roual Navy style uniform, different cut than US. The uniform in OP is USN "Style", just not Navy

Just guessing-- but maybe the sailor is a relative of the photographer Antonio M. Estrella which could mean Portuguese Navy. Ancestry indicates he was born in the Azores. In the 1920 census many of his neighbors were also from there.

Just guessing-- but maybe the sailor is a relative of the photographer Antonio M. Estrella which could mean Portuguese Navy. Ancestry indicates he was born in the Azores. In the 1920 census many of his neighbors were also from there.

Don't think so. Each country has a specific style on Naval uniform. I know that to most, they all look alike, but they are distinctive. This is USN "style". This Sailor served on an American ship. Just not a Navy ship. It was VERY common at the end of the 19th century/early 20th century for civilian steam ship companies and yatch owners to purchase surplus Navy uniforms for their crews. The insignia would be different, and it appears the buttons on his trousers are plain, another indication he is civilian as by by then, the USN was using USN anchor buttons on the fall front trousers. This guy is from a civilian company, yatch crew or from a maritime school

Could be a member of a Naval Militia too!

Naval militias wore USN uniforms and insignia with a "Naval Militia" (some times with state designation) cap ribbon or a patch with "NM" in a diamond on their sleeve. They were pretty much in the same category as National Guard so we're supported in part by the USN

Garandomatic

I want to point out (had to check my earliest jumper for sure) that the cuff striping isn't necessarily bad. I have a very early Aviation Machinist Mate jumper that has almost identical spacing, and it is otherwise right as rain.

I want to point out (had to check my earliest jumper for sure) that the cuff striping isn't necessarily bad. I have a very early Aviation Machinist Mate jumper that has almost identical spacing, and it is otherwise right as rain.

Agree, have occasionally seen the same thing. However, the neckerchief, insignia, and buttons are simply NOT USN. The uniform is USN "Style" and "Cut" indicating an American Sailor, working on US flagged ship, just not Navy

White Star Lines sailor with similar star on sleeve. Very different uniform but your sailor could work for a cruise line.

post-87451-0-59305200-1427228460.jpg

White Star Lines sailor with similar star on sleeve. Very different uniform but your sailor could work for a cruise line.

image.jpg

I actually said that in my first response to this post. It was very common in those days for commercial shipping lines and yatch owners to use surplus Navy uniforms to out got their crews. I just noticed that that post is not here. Any way, yes, American civilian, wearing USN "Style" uniform

Is his name Herman D Leonard? I found one that lives in Fall River Mass. that might be him. In his 1942 draft registration he said that he had no prior military service, if that's him its has to be a commercial uniform. He was also a worker on the railroad.

Is his name Herman D Leonard? I found one that lives in Fall River Mass. that might be him. In his 1942 draft registration he said that he had no prior military service, if that's him its has to be a commercial uniform. He was also a worker on the railroad.

The era of this style of uniform would have put this man in his 59s-60s by 1942

I can't actually confirm his name. The photo came with a WW1 U.S. Navy ID tag named to Herman Leonard, born 6-22-87 and a date of 8-27-17 on the face. U.S.N. on the edge and a fingerprint on the back. I did the genealogy research on him and found that he was in fact from Fall River, but was unsure if the photo was actually him. The 1930 Census shows that Herman Leonard was a veteran. His WW1 draft registration card, dated 5 June 1917 (3 months before the date on ID tag) indicates that he was working as a Railroad Yard Clerk for the N.Y N.H. & H Railroad in Taunton, MA. The description on the registration card describes him as stout, medium height with black hair -- which seems to match the photo. When I began researching his uniform I was unable to identify the patch on his arm, and thus I sought the advice of the great members of the US Militaria Forum. I know medals and many US Army uniforms, but US Navy uniforms are not my area of general knowledge. I thank everyone for all the information provided.

post-96874-0-66978000-1427329655.jpg

The uniform is pre WW1. The USN untucked the JPEG from the trousers in 1911, and dropped the lanyard in 1913. I would say that the man in the photo is not the same man on the dog tag. Photo is of a civilian matiner from a US steamship line

I totally agree with Steve about it being basically a USN uniform used by some other organization. The sleeve badge is the best clue, and it does look like it has a crown on top, which seems odd for a US or South American steamship company, but who knows, it could be from anywhere. I wonder if the Naval Clothing Factories sold to allied navies or companies during WW1?

I will definitely keep an eye out for any badges that look like the one in the photo.

Justin B.