Flight Jackets Galore!

Nic

I don't normally collect flight gear and can't remember the last flight jacket I acquired. However that all changed over the last month when I stumbled across FOUR that I couldn't pass up!

The first one that started the chain is this B-15B. Overall it is in great shape with some minor wear, but no real major issues to note.

post-330-0-64801500-1426907415.jpg

The second jacket is a 1964 dated G-1 in a large size 44. It doesn't appear any patches were ever sewn on it. The mouton collar has a nice honey brown color to it, with no dry spots. The liner and cuffs/waistband are also in nice shape. Although I'm not a big fan of wearing items in my collection, this jacket might be the exception!

post-330-0-27666100-1426908389.jpg

The third jacket is one that is very special to me since I have a strong interest in Skyraider squadrons during Vietnam. It is a 1960 dated California Sportswear G-1 in a size 44. It was owned by a man who served as the Ordnance Officer of VA-145 (The Swordsmen). They were a Skyraider squadron that flew early in the Vietnam War while on the USS Constellation. The jacket itself is in great shape and is made of a very heavy leather. Other then a few minor paint splotches here and there, it is in excellent condition.

post-330-0-38547000-1426908988.jpg

The last one I picked up from Bay State Militaria. Before I describe it, a quick plug for this dealer. I had a great transaction with them. Good communication and the jacket was very well packed and sent fast. As for the jacket, this is one that I normally would pass on, but for some reason I kept coming back to it. There is no label. However, it appears that this is a B-15D or possibly a very early MA-1. It retains the early squared off windshield, snaps for the radio lines and oxygen mask tab. No orange lining and had a name tape and oval patch sewn on it at one time. One other interesting note about this one is that there is a name sewn into one of the interior pockets. Unfortunately I can't really read it, so this jacket and ghost patches will probably remain a mystery.

post-330-0-31851300-1426910039.jpg

Thanks for the comments and the name suggestions. The more I look at it, the last name does appear to be Gilbert. I did find a Korean War F-86 pilot by the name of Clyde Gilbert, but the chances of linking him to the jacket are slim to none!