New York National Guard?

jcsoup

I picked up this beautiful DUI this week. I think it is from the New York National Guard. It has a safety style pinback and the maker is M.S. Bowman N.Y.C.

Can anyone provide any additional info on it?

post-41112-0-20900900-1426800446.jpg

post-41112-0-64237900-1426800458.jpg

• 3 months later...

That is actually the 27th Infantry Division, 71st Field Artillery Brigade DUI. The 102nd AAA and Coast Arty. was white on top with the lower portion red. The 27th had approx. 12 DUI's with the Clipper ship and various colors. It is listed under 27th Inf. Div. 71st Inf. Bde. so it may be an error as to whether it's a F.A. Bde. on the NYS DMNA heraldry website.

Tankpatches

As for the original content of this post the 1st post shows a 102 AAA DI

ASMIC # 102A3 Hallmarked: Bowman

102A1,102A2,102A3,102A4 are WW2 pieces

102A5 is postwar

102A6 is modern

post-668-0-59070300-1436064581.jpg

post-668-0-44620100-1436064607.jpg

post-668-0-88712000-1436064622.jpg

On the 71st Arty. DUI's, the one shown by ASMIC has a different background than the one in question. Note the larger triangle compared to the smaller one. As for it being the 71st Arty. it is possible that it's the 71st Inf. since I believe the DMNA site is rife with errors. As for the 102nd AAA in the ASMIC description, it is describing it as having a dark blue op but the DUI in question has a light blue op. Yes I do see the one indicating a med. blue but with age on the DUI, it's hard to tell if it's a med. or lt. blue. I remember trying to collect as many Clipper ship NY DUI's but these are rather difficult because so many of these are listed incorrectly. Is there any definative list of these available by colors, brigades, div. etc?

You might want to find one or two of Sawicki's books on DIs, as there is valuable information about heraldry and how it is reflected in DI designs. Knowledge of heraldic terms would lead to less confusion by DI collectors, whether the illustration is in B & W or color.

That being said, why don't you undertake some sort of compendium on these DIs since you have information many other DI collectors are apparently lacking? However, describing Henry Hudson's ship as a "clipper ship" - which began sailing in the 19th Century, is pretty inaccurate and might underscore any other information.

You might want to find one or two of Sawicki's books on DIs, as there is valuable information about heraldry and how it is reflected in DI designs. Knowledge of heraldic terms would lead to less confusion by DI collectors, whether the illustration is in B & W or color.

That being said, why don't you undertake some sort of compendium on these DIs since you have information many other DI collectors are apparently lacking? However, describing Henry Hudson's ship as a "clipper ship" - which began sailing in the 19th Century, is pretty inaccurate and might underscore any other information.

tred, believe Sawicki's books only cover Infantry and Cavalry Regiments, Tank Battalions, and Field Artillery and Anti Aircraft Artillery Battalions, he didn't do books on the linage of higher Divisional or Separate Brigades from the pre WWll period yes?

tred, believe Sawicki's books only cover Infantry and Cavalry Regiments, Tank Battalions, and Field Artillery and Anti Aircraft Artillery Battalions, he didn't do books on the linage of higher Divisional or Separate Brigades from the pre WWll period yes?

The suggestion was made to Forum members to learn about heraldry and its role in emblems found on DIs, which is contained in all the books.

The suggestion was made to Forum members to learn about heraldry and its role in emblems found on DIs, which is contained in all the books.

Gotta ya, I thought maybe Sawicki had other branch books that I knew nothing about. Yes you're right he covers this Heraldry aspect in detail in the APPENDIX 1 section of all his books.

I have a number of Sawicki's books, but that means to look up DUI's individually. I was hoping to find a NY National Guard DUI listing. I have the F.A., ADA, C.A. and infantry volumes. That leaves Sig., Eng., Cav., etc. to look up elsewhere. I was hoping maybe ASMIC may have or will do a story on these variations.

• 6 years later...