Shreve Grouping

bschwartz

I generally don't post too many of my new acquisitions here but I thought people might appreciate this one. This is a very special grouping for me and one that basically fell into my lap. This is from Lieutenant George B. Fredell who earned his wings in April of 1919. While after WW1 it's still an interesting grouping as each of the items was made by Shreve & Co and Fredell lived in San Francisco, was in charge of the Air Reserve grouping there and is buried at the Presidio. I was thrilled to get this grouping. I'll post a closeup of the bracelet below a picture of the group.

post-5185-0-54085300-1426726400.jpg

The inscription on the back reads as follows:

First

Airplane Landing

Apr 27, 1919

From the citizens of
Carlistoga Cal

post-5185-0-84360900-1426726463.jpg

post-5185-0-98833100-1426726471.jpg

Thanks to Cliff Presley it has been determined that he did indeed earn his wings prior to the end of WW1 and was a WW1 qualified pilot. Now that doesn't mean he served overseas in the war but he did earn his wings during the war. The bracelet was a presentation item for the first airplane landing in the city of Carlistoga, California. Thank you Cliff and that amazing research library of yours.

Thanks guys. Oh and I fat fingered the name of the city on the back of the badge, it's Calistoga not Carlistoga. Yeesh I'm getting old.

;)

Congratulations Bob, that's one of the smartest looking wings any of us might hope to find. . . and it's especially nice to know it's going into the collection of one of the finest, most unselfish members of this board that I know.

Many thanks for all that you have done over the years to help promote this fine hobby.

Clliff

All of the pieces are simply breathtaking. I noticed the sweetheart item has two stars. Do you know if he had a sibling who served?

....Kat

Great finds and beautiful wings. I shopped and Shreve and Co in Downtown San Francisco for years and my wife wears an engagement ring from them. I also used to live on Calistoga Road just outside of town, so how is it I never found anything like this, dang I must be looking in the wrong places.

Congrats on a wonderful find.

Thanks again for the compliments. Thanks too firefighter for the link to the article. That's really cool that he participated in the air races. cutiger83, I'm not sure if he had a sibling that served but it would make sense given the sweetheart item with the two "in service" stars. The interesting part of that piece is that it's 14k gold and the prop is sterling. The quality of that piece is outstanding. It's clear that Shreve was, and is, a very high end jeweler.

Bob,

Congratulations on adding an absolutely gorgeous grouping to your collection.

And, as mentioned above, thank you for all of your selfless efforts in providing us with the best wing resource out there! www.ww2wings.com

Russ

Wing

So,

I know that some (like Duncan Campbell) like wings polished bright...

I know that some think patina is sacred and won't even consider cleaning them...

I just want to say that these wings of Bob's are exactly what I find most attractive--Specifically dark in the recesses and lightly polished on the high points. To me this is the allure of antique silver. The contrast really brings out the beauty of these wings.

Chris

firefighter

As far as shinning a badge I'm on the fence.I like the patina, shows the real age.But I also like the shine, like how it was worn almost a 100 years ago.