Another unknown WWI patch, for me at least

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

Still going through the collection I bought last week.

I am now to the point of going through all the uniform removed items he had. If a uniform was damaged he removed the insignia and stuck them in envelopes, all together.

This set was in a envelope and I have not seen it before. If it wouldn't have been in this collection, I would have thought some type of school insignia.

Has anyone ever seen this or know what the ID is?

Thanks

lis.jpg

ocsfollowme

I am actually going to say that this is home front HS or college related, and not military. I found several of these on eBay and antique stores but they were always over priced. I finally cracked the code by finding this photo on eBay less than a month ago. As you can see, it was part of a high school grouping.

I am sure yours is the same...but corresponding to a HS of a different name.

post-122868-0-08857200-1426655226.jpg

vintageproductions

The HS signifies high school for sure on the patches shown above.

The one I showed does not say High School by any means. It shows LIS ( Long Island Signal) just a guess but I am sure the S stands for signal since there is an enlisted signal corps collar disc with it. The person this collection belonged to was a very advanced collector and historian, he did not make mistakes of keeping school patches mixed in with his WWI patches.

Couldn't LIS stand for L********* Intermediate School? The winged ovals shown are remarkably similar in proportions to include the number and relative sizes of the feathers.

vintageproductions

While going through another box today I found a Xerox of the WWI uniform sleeve that still had the patch sewn to it at the time.

vintageproductions

will do it later, but all it is, is a bad 80's xerox of the shoulder with the patch still attached.

Could it be a liaison squadron? I was thinking 1st liaison squadron but I can't seem to find anything before WWII... Aviation and signals were under the same chain of command in WWI.

vintageproductions

Tom it's funny you say that as I found a note on some of his patches and there is a Liaison Service patch that I can't find with the rest of the patches, so it could be ( the regular Liaison service black patch was accounted for in a different part of the collection, so that is why I am throwing that out there).

Here is the bad xerox of the patch still sewn to the sleeve of a uniform.

lis.jpg

Whatever it is it seems to be made in the same way as the WTS V, WHS V and SS PF badges. It could be improvised and based on a school patch?

• 2 weeks later...
Capt.Confederacy

This thread is very interesting. Has anyone been able to make a positive ID on what these winged patches are? I just came across one yesterday at an antique store that is of the same style (ie blue wings on a white oval and the letters EHS). I thought it might be a high school patch but now I am not that sure.

Salvage Sailor

Bob,

Just a though but could the "I" denote Institute? Likewise the "V" could be for Vocation or Vocational

ocsfollowme

I found a few others (own two of these now) but all of mine that I know that go to a middle school or high school also have the "V" in it.

• 1 year later...

Well I thought I had this patch identified as a Volunteer for the Women's Police Service, WW1 British. But after not being able to find any photo evidence and then running across this thread, I'm back to square one.

post-124172-0-68688200-1474146520_thumb.jpg