sheath value

camillus

Got a question, I have seen knives listed that are realy nice but the sheath isn't good, How much does sheath condition affect the value of the knife Thanks Mike

Charles1966

This strictly my opinion, it's like anything else, there are certain questions to be considered. Availability of a replacement sheath, is a BIG consideration. Is the sheath numbered to that particular knife? This last point, will definitely affect the value... Certain types of sheaths/scabbards, simply did not survive the test of time for various reasons. The leather scabbard for the M1917 for instance, tough to find and costly. The gray Navy fiberglass scabbard for the MK2, all be it, not cheap, but much easier to find... A sheath for the Au Lion version of the Mk1 (my personal favorite) can cost almost as much as the knife itself. They are extremely hard to find in any condition, much less good condition! However, can increase the value of said knife considerably... So I guess the answer is yes, but it depends on the knife...

How much can you expect to have to pay for a sheath that you'd be satisfied with? This is assuming that you want to spend the time it takes to find one. When your talking about sheaths for these knives some are both very hard to find and pricey. IMHO this should be a consideration whenever your evaluating a purchase. In general I'd rather pass up a combination that isn't what I'm looking for rather than try to piece it together bit by bit. Sometimes you run across a deal that you shouldn't pass up, but usually what I see is that as individual pieces the sum of the money spent to put it together is more than you can get a complete set for if you learn to be patient.

Generally most assessments of value for fixed blade knives are assumed to come with the appropriate sheath of similar condition.

Unlike US bayonets where the scabbards are basically generic, most knives have a fairly distinctive sheath. The comments above about the normal value is based on the knife and a correct sheath in the same condition is quite true. It is much harder to sell a knife with an incorrect sheath (or one in much different condition) and the price is usually much lower. It is also true that sometimes a sheath by itself will sell for a high price based on someone having the knife and needing the sheath.

I have noticed these days that on eBay a pretty nice condition knife without a sheath may not sell at all even for a reasonable price, as most collectors do not want the hassle of trying to find the right sheath.

As a BALLPARK figure, based on what I see on eBay and a few other sites, a knife with the wrong sheath (type or condition) will sell for as much as 25-35% less than one with the right sheath. If the sheath is totally wrong, that percent will go up unless the buyer needs that particular sheath or has the right sheath.

I've often bought a knife in the wrong sheath because I needed the sheath. I then end up with another knife without the right sheath; kind of like the domino effect. Eventually the last sheathless knife is either sold or matched up.

As to the OP question, the sheath can represent half the value of the combination, and in some case more than the knife itself. An original mint (I don't really like that word) M8 scabbard can go for $100 or more, while an original mint M6 sheath can climb into the $600 range. An excellent blade dated M3 with an excellent original M6 can run about $1200 now, although prices tend to up and down over several years.

Ok. I've imbibed a few green beers so hopefully this will make sense. Several years ago the only way to get top dollar for a knife was to sell it as a set. Then a few years ago for some reason it became trendy to break up sets and get top dollar for each piece. Now unless it's a trench knife or other oddity it appears that sets may be commanding more money again at least on the better condition or higher end sets. I hope this trend continues as I hate to see sets and history broken up but I know that's the nature of the business. I think, if I'm still thinking straight, That this is in concurrence with what Gary is saying too. A few years ago it was crazy as I sold a couple of my nice loose M6's for $1000. Enjoy Sp day and March madness!

thanks for your insight, on ebay have seen many nice knives with worn or broken sheaths or scabbards a nd wondered how it affected the price