Navy Rate on MC Blues

ViewfinderGyrene

ViewfinderGyrene

Hello,

Can anyone advise me on why this patch is on the sleeve of a Marine Corps Dress Blues?

Also what would the Marine need to have done in order to wear this rate?

Obviously he was in a MARDET, but I'm confused as to what this would've meant regarding his duties...

Thanks,

VFG

post-153444-0-05603500-1426387080.gif

ViewfinderGyrene

The Marine who wore that blues was on the USS Phoenix at Pearl Harbor....wish there were a way to find if he was credited with an AA kill :o!!!!!

The bar underneath means a second award. The slanted bar means it was awarded post 1957. During WWII the bars for subsequent awards was horizontal. Did this marine have a long career? Is the Jacket a post war model?

-Jay

ViewfinderGyrene

Not sure yet, but at least it's likely he got the 1st Award during WWII...the Blues appears to be dated prewar...can't tell the QM date until I have it in hand...

ViewfinderGyrene

My thought is he may not have been awarded the rate during the war. He was discharged in '46 like most, so maybe he was entitled to it but the rate wasn't sent to him until many years after the war, thus getting the postwar version of the patch. He's the only Marine by his name that shows up, so I have no doubt about the unfirom itself.

My thought is he may not have been awarded the rate during the war. He was discharged in '46 like most, so maybe he was entitled to it but the rate wasn't sent to him until many years after the war, thus getting the postwar version of the patch. He's the only Marine by his name that shows up, so I have no doubt about the unfirom itself.

I kinda doubt the "E" was sent to him in the late 50s. The vet might have added it later for a reunion or some such thing. That happens some times.

BTW its not a rate. A rate is a sailors rank, petty officer 1st class etc. Its an excellence/efficiency award.

-Jay

ViewfinderGyrene

Thanks for the correction, not up on the proper terminology in regards to the Navy :) Also for the tip about reunions too, I've heard of such things as well...

This Navy E is a Navy Distinguishing Mark, most likely earned as a member of a gun mount. These awards I think were proudly worn by Marines and would have been sewn on soon after being awarded. This award does not catch up to you like a victory medal and despite the horizontal vs slanted bar argument an award oft this type would have been would have been sewn on earning it and apparently in this Marines case twice.

ViewfinderGyrene

This Navy E is a Navy Distinguishing Mark, most likely earned as a member of a gun mount. These awards I think were proudly worn by Marines and would have been sewn on soon after being awarded. This award does not catch up to you like a victory medal and despite the horizontal vs slanted bar argument an award oft this type would have been would have been sewn on earning it and apparently in this Marines case twice.

I don't know what to think of it since he was discharged in '46 and no return to service docs on Ancestry.

If anyone wants to double check, name is Phillip K. Keener.