KIA 513th PIR/17th ABN Officer Uniform

Kadet

This is a recent find that turned out to have an interesting history. The laundry # in it corresponds to 1LT Francis E. Clark. Clark served in Co. A 513th PIR and was killed in Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge. He was from Mass., but is buried in Georgia very close to where this jacket was found in an attic. A little rumpled, but great condition and nice bullion 1LT bars

post-110-0-36715300-1426332061.jpg

Thanks. It is a rather sad piece. I didn't know the exact background of the owner when I bought it. Clark was killed during the 513th's assault through snow and bitter cold to capture the town of Flamierge from SS panzer troops

Great! I am jealous!

Next week I am going to Belgium for Dead Man´s Ridge Walk event. So I will be in Flamierge also.

Have you ever thought of requesting the Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF) for Lt Clark? It would likely provide a list of the personal effects returned to Clark's family, and the uniform would hopefully be on the list.

Thanks! Any thoughts on how to eliminate some of the wrinkling? Dry cleaning is out of the question because the bullion insignia is fragile

Very nice but sad pickup. KIA jackets are becoming interesting tome as the guy would have actually worn it. A KIA PH is a wonderful symbol, but nothing the person would have ever touched.

Good luck on your research!

-Brian

Yes, in this case the officer died in the 513th's first combat engagement. No sign on the uniform of overseas stripes, a CIB or even ribbons...

As for the wrinkles I would first just wait a long while and see if they go away. They might, they don't seem incredibly bad.

If that doesn't work, I would use a small handheld steamer. Just steer as clear from the bullion as possible to avoid darkening it even more.

Honestly while you steam it, and the sleeve is warm, if you wipe the bullion very carefully with a microfiber cloth some darkening might even come off. (Or don't touch it if you don't want to brighten it at all)

I personally would feel comfortable doing it that way... Just go easy on the steam so it doesn't get 'wet' or saturated with water.

-Brian

Thanks! The officers of Co A 513th PIR are in the front row of this picture. I would imagine that Clark is in the group....Clark was born in 1914, so would have been ~ 30 when this picture was taken. One of the older men. Front left looks like the company senior enlisted, and I believe the Company Commander is next to him..my complete guess is that Clark is either third or fourth from the left.

post-110-0-46538400-1426348260.jpg

Great find Andy! With the wrinkling - as mentioned above, a hand held steamer should do the trick. I would doubt there were ever ribbons on it save possibly an American Defense ribbon if he was in the service long enough to warrant one. Unfortunately he never got the chance to earn the rest, and if he was KIA in the first engagement I would expect to see a CIB either.

Kyle

BigDogMilitaria

Nice find. You have a knack for picking up some great uniforms with very interesting stories. Keep up the awesome work!

Interesting that he was buried in Georgia, and not back home in Massachusetts. Any theories as to why? In any case, another amazing addition to your collection. Congrats on preserving his memory, and RIP paratrooper.

-- Jon