• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 rrobertscv

rrobertscv
  • Members
    • Member ID: 285
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:36 PM

This came in the mail today, has a cork ball on the inside.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d173/rrobertscv/whistle.jpg

Edited by Johan Willaert, 29 September 2008 - 10:12 AM.

#2 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 08:39 PM

That style whistle was used by most NCO's and junior officers that commanded troops, not just MP's.

#3 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 344
  • 11,719 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:15 AM

Whistles.jpg

I thought this might be of interest regarding whistles, the attachment is taken from a autumn 41 and spring 42 sales catalog, note it lists three styles of whistles platoon, company & battalion, the batalion one being a siren. The siren is the one to the left of the three shown. I do own one of these and will show it shortly as soon as I pull it out of storage.

#4 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:22 AM

Most of the MP pics I've seen, especially if in dress uniform, shows the solid brass whistle. The Thunderer was very popular with both MP's and civilian police. I think these plastic whistles are more commonly seen in combat / training enviroments or with troop units.

Ken please add your whistles when you can. I have several of them too but have never taken any pics.

#5 SARGE

SARGE

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 130
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:05 AM

Here is an example of the standard "MP" whistle in wear in 1943. All brass with a brass chain. There are lots of variations of these.

MP_RIA.JPG

#6 SARGE

SARGE

• Moderators
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:25 AM

Whistles are interesting and some folks just collect these things. I have accumulated quite a few of these over the years, buying something with different markings if I did not already have it.

Here are a couple of the standard large brass military police style whistles with different markings. The one on the left was retailed by NS Meyer and the one on the right is simply marked "Military."

Whistles.JPG

Here is another with the NS Meyer shield on the side. This is also an Acme (Wyle Coyote's favorite brand name).

Whistle_Meyer.JPG

#7 SARGE

SARGE

• Moderators
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 11:31 AM

Normally, these whistles were worn exposed by MPs with the whistle ring on the button of the pocket flap. Some MPs wore them on whistle hooks.

This is the manner in which they were usually worn on the jacket pocket.

Whistle_Military.JPG

Here is a crossed pistol MP whistle hook.

Whistle_hanger_pistols.JPG

And, here is a whistle hook attached to a simple bar.

Whistle_hanger_bar.JPG

#8 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:27 PM

SARGE from what I have seen it looks to me that MP's used brass whistles while civilian police used the same whistles but chrome plated. Can you comment on that.

#9 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
  • 11,719 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 01:37 PM

Whistle_Siren.jpg
Whistle_Plain.jpg

Earlier I posted an advert for whistles sold through a catalog company, so here are a couple of whistles similar to the ones shown. I believe the two I am showing to be pre WWII and possibly WWI, they are blackened brass like the uniform buttons in WWI. The long tube one is a siren when blown, inside it has a circular perforated disc which spins to give the siren effect.

A number of years back I bought a bunch of reject whistles from a guy that worked at the ' Acme' plant during WWII, they had not been assembled correctly, some of the seams were not soldered right. In this bunch were a number of whistles similar to the one shown by ' sarge' in post #7. On the top flat section they were marked 'Acme Made in England' and on the circular side a number of different U.S. supply companies such as Meyer as shown in post #7.

Regarding Craig's question in a post above, were all whistles brass finished, the ones I had with American companies on the side were all mostly chromed, now the brass ones I didn't know if that was the correct finish or if they should have been chromed but had been rejected before they got that far. Over the years I have had brass whistles marked U.S. Military, and these were solid brass not plated ones.

#10 SARGE

SARGE

• Moderators
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:47 PM

I am glad to know there is someone besides me that is interested in whistles.

I think Lewis is right that the tube whistles are probably WWI period or at the very least are an earlier style of whistle. A very neat ad Lewis and I have never seen them sold or touted as having different sounds for different size military groups. Interesting, and I suppose not a bad idea. But, perhaps a salesman's dream from going over the top in WWI.

Anyway, the military police item of issue whistles are generally speaking brass, the larger tornado type, and have the same general look to them no matter what the make. Civilian Police whistles can be brass or silver color but nickel plate seems to be the norm during this period of time (depending upon the color of the buttons on the police uniform though).

Here is a WWII (or earlier) civilian Police whistle that is the same large size as the brass whistles marked "Military." I would date this nickeled whistle from the 1920s - 1930s but certainly no later than WWII.

Whistle_Police_Special.JPG

Here is an Acme civilian Police whistle that is marked on the side just as Lewis indicates. I carried this smaller whistle as a municipal policeman for probably 25 years. Notice the differences in size and shape from the military whistle above and the later police whistle below.

Whistles_Mil_Civ_side.JPG

#11 SARGE

SARGE

• Moderators
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

Here are a few very early civilian Police whistles. These are the tube type that were popular around WWI. Notice they are all nickel finished.

This one is a New York Metropolitan Police whistle.

Whistle_Mun_Pol_NY.JPG

This one is a generic Muncipal Police USA whistle.

Whistle_Mun_Pol_USA.JPG

This one is also a generic Police whistle that was sold by SA French who was a large police supply house around the turn of the century. The French marking is seen on the end of this particular whistle.

Whistle_Metropolitan_SA_French.JPG

#12 dustin

dustin
  • Members
    • Member ID: 56
  • 3,643 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:19 PM

I am curious as to the orgin of the army/navy in shield marked whistle. I have seen one other example. On the acme thunders look for an A M marked for Air Ministry.

#13 GICOP

GICOP
  • Members
    • Member ID: 370
  • 362 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 06:26 AM

Here are two whistles in my collection the first one is similar if not the same as one SARGE posted, it has an interesting hanger.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/GICOP3/whistle2.jpg

The second is chrome finish and marked
REGULATION
U.S.ARMY
SOLID BRASS

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/GICOP3/whistle.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/GICOP3/whistle1.jpg

#14 SARGE

SARGE

• Moderators
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 08:16 AM

Dustin,
The shield marking is that for N.S. Meyer that was/is a well known military supply house in New York. You will find this marking on all sorts of things. Meyer manufactured and sold some high quality material.

GICOP,
Thanks for posting your "Regulation" whistle. I forgot that one. It is interesting that it is chrome plated. I would guess that this whistle was probably carried by an Air Policeman to match the silver buttons on the uniform. A nice variation.

I also like the square hanger on the first one you show. I have not seen that one before. There are a variety of chains as well. The two chains you show with twisted interlocking links are the two most common and the first one seems to have been the normal item of issue. Some are plated steel and some are brass. Most have that almost useless dumb epaulet hook that has to be smashed, modified, or otherwise manipulated.

#15 GICOP

GICOP
  • Members
    • Member ID: 370
  • 362 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 09:09 AM

Here is another picture of the hanger.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/GICOP3/squarehanger.jpg

#16 SARGE

SARGE

• Moderators
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 11:06 AM

Ah, I see... It is made to go over a larger button, like the ones on the Ike jacket. A very neat idea. I have never seen that before.

#17 Sgt Brown

Sgt Brown

IN MEMORIAM

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 81
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:28 PM

Many whistles of all materials were worn/used as "dingy whistles" by aircrew. They would attach one to the zipper pull on their jacket so that it would be close-at-hand for signaling as they floated in their mae west or life raft. AAF guys seemed to use more brass whistles. USN and Marine Air seemed to tend more toward black plastic.

I am a retired cop. That is where the Sgt in my "handle" comes from. The Acme Thunderer was a common British-made whistle used by aircrew during WWII and is still in common use by cops today! Same goes for whistles marked "Military" in either brass or nickel plated brass.

#18 usmc-collector

usmc-collector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 31
  • 424 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 04:08 AM

WW2 example from my USMC collection
whistle.jpg

#19 Pack Rat

Pack Rat
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,587
  • 316 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:51 AM

What type of whistle was used by the US in WWII?

I recently saw a whistle in an antique store that is "WWII" issue .

It's all brass with a "U" shaped hook at the end of a twisted type chain.

The whistle is stamped:

The Acme Thunderer
MADE IN ENGLAND

The pea is cork.

I was looking to buy an original, but I'm not sure what to look for. Does this sound right?

Thanks for your advice.

-D

Edited by Pack Rat, 29 September 2008 - 06:59 AM.

#20 mpguy80/08

mpguy80/08
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,743
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:44 AM

Here is a WW II Whistle I found on Ebay... It is marked "Regulation US Army Solid Brass" The chain is interwoven links, and actually has four links that spell out ARMY.

Wayne

Attached Images

• new_aquisitions_007.jpg

#21 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,677 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:53 AM

Did the US issue the Acme Thunderer whistles, or was that just a British Commonwealth issue item?

#22 Corpl. Cleaver

Corpl. Cleaver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,753
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:54 AM

That whistle is perfect for what you need, if it has a good price then grab it.
I'm not sure if the army issued Thunderers, but it seems like it was a common model of whistles at the time.

Edited by Corpl. Cleaver, 29 September 2008 - 08:57 AM.

#23 nicolas75

nicolas75
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,574
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:04 AM

2 Belgian mates i know have already found out 2 Acme thunderer whistle in ground dugging ...

#24 Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert
  • Members
    • Member ID: 92
  • 8,420 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:06 AM

2 Belgian mates i know have already found out 2 Acme thunderer whistle in ground dugging ...

But were they also marked 'Made in England'?

#25 General Apathy

General Apathy
  • Members
  • 11,719 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 10:03 AM

Hi pack rat, whistles have been discussed before and entered into the ' pinned ' section for reference.

There are quite a few good photographs and also varied names associated with the whistles, you will actually see mention of the ' Acme Thunderer ' and also mention of it making regulation whistles for the U.S. Army, some being double marked ' Acme Thunderer- Made in England' on the top flat plate, and ' Meyer - NY' who bought them for resale to American forces.

Find the ' search' button on the top forum bar, click that, enter ' Whistles' and check out what appears for you.

Hope this helps.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Ho Hum, while I was typing this out, ' GI Cop ' has already posted the link for you a couple of posts above.

Edited by General Apathy, 29 September 2008 - 10:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users