WWI 1912 SA Bayonet with scabbard. Model? Terrible condition.

Millcove

I inherited a lot of Military things from three different relatives. All three servied in the Military and all three were hoarders/collectors/dumpster divers. I have sorted out the things that I know for certain belonged to them and set those aside. The rest I have been selling.

I found this bayonet and scabbard in the barn while cleaning out one of their homes. Both are in terrible condition. I don't think it belonged to one of them from their service. None of them serviced in WWI. Perhaps it belonged to a family member of the older generation that served in WWI . I don't think they would have left it in the barn if they bought it for their collection.

The closet thing I found while researching was posted on this forum but that was slightly different and it was also in great condition. I thought the 1912 was the year and the model number but someone pointed out that the year is not the model. I also found information that makes me think the scabbard is rare.

The blade of the bayonet is marked 1912 SA with a flame insignia on one side and, on the other side of the blade, US and the serial number 518616.

The scabbard is marked RIA 1906 with the initials HEK. It has a drain hole in the middle of the point at the base.

My questions are: What model is the bayonet and what model is the scabbard? Do these go together? Is the scabbard rare? Is there any value in this terrible condition? I have more photographs if you need them. 

post-157930-0-12788300-1426226012.jpg

post-157930-0-20684500-1426226068.jpg

post-157930-0-29837000-1426226081.jpg

post-157930-0-21968500-1426226096.jpg

post-157930-0-98708900-1426226667.jpg

Your bayonet is a Model 1905 and designed for the Model 1903 Rifle.Yours is dated for the year of manufacture.It was made at the Springfield Armory.

Your bayonet is a Model 1905 and designed for the Model 1903 Rifle.Yours is dated for the year of manufacture.Your scabbard is a early variant as well made at Rock Island Arsenal.

Thank you so much for the information on the bayonet model and what Rifle it was designed for. Since the scabbard was made by a different company, were these meant to be together? Thanks again.

Thank you so much for the information on the bayonet model and what Rifle it was designed for. Since the scabbard was made by a different company, were these meant to be together? Thanks again.

yes as Springfield didn't make these scabbards but RIA (rock island arsenal) did

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

The guys using these couldn't care less who made them, if they fit together and were available they would have been used.