1918 Dated Mcclellan Saddle

Hillbilly1918

Hillbilly1918

Well I was thinking about getting this saddle off of ebay, its 50 right now and I was wondering what would be a good price for it. I kinda enjoy the cavalry Items and was thinking about going head first into ww1 cavalry equipment. Any suggestions on this saddle, or if anyone has a lead on one please let me know.

post-3561-1216590830.jpg

post-3561-1216590835.jpg

post-3561-1216590842.jpg

You should hold off until you can find one with the leather hooded stirrups with the embossed "US." For display purposes, the saddle can be missing all kinds of straps, etc. But it really needs those hooded stirrups to look "good."

Just my opinion.....

Kurt

Hillbilly1918

Well I would like to have one with the leather stirrups but I also want a complete one or at least one that could be easily restored. This one is missing the bit and the lead straps, but its close. I don't think the bit would be to hard to locate, but the leather stirrups your talking about would be like finding a needle in a stack of needles. Thanks for your input.

If youy're looking for a Cavalry saddle, don't buy that one. That's an artillery saddle. You can tell by the 2 large D rings, one on each end. Cavalry saddles don't have those rings.

Hillbilly1918

robinb thanks for the heads up, I'd be pretty pissed if I got that one

robinb is correct.That one is an artillery model.The original unaltered ones are pretty hard to find as many of these saddles were sold off to the civilian market and would be modified to suit the situation.I believe the one complete saddle I had seen a few years back was dated 1918 and the wooden stirrups were US marked on the bottom.The saddle had the hoods over the stirrups and had the large embossed US on the fronts.I wouldnt be surprised if you had to give $600 0r so for a nice one,more for a complete.The one I saw went for $350 20years ago.

RON

robinb is correct.That one is an artillery model.The original unaltered ones are pretty hard to find as many of these saddles were sold off to the civilian market and would be modified to suit the situation.I believe the one complete saddle I had seen a few years back was dated 1918 and the wooden stirrups were US marked on the bottom.The saddle had the hoods over the stirrups and had the large embossed US on the fronts.I wouldnt be surprised if you had to give $600 0r so for a nice one,more for a complete.The one I saw went for $350 20years ago.

RON

Yes, that one is an M1904 artillery model probably contract-made for WWI. I sold two 1904 cavalry models made for WWI several years ago for $550 each. One was unissued and the other one was in excellent condition. I would guess that they would go for at least $800 now. I also sold an M1928 McClellan cavalry saddle for $600 about the same time. It was also in excellent condition.

Dallas

pathfinder505
Yes, that one is an M1904 artillery model probably contract-made for WWI. I sold two 1904 cavalry models made for WWI several years ago for $550 each. One was unissued and the other one was in excellent condition. I would guess that they would go for at least $800 now. I also sold an M1928 McClellan cavalry saddle for $600 about the same time. It was also in excellent condition.

Dallas

I don't collect saddles or WWI. So I have a question. What is the difference in the artillery vs the cavalry other than d rings. Also, what is the difference in how they were used?

Thanks

The Cavarly saddle and the Artillery saddle are essentially the same, with the excepton of the D rings. Also, the Cavalry used the hooded stirrups, while the Artillery used plain iron stirrups. The D ring on the Artillery saddle was used to harness several horses together to pull field pieces. That's not the most accurate way to put it, but you get the jist of it I'm sure.

The Cavarly saddle and the Artillery saddle are essentially the same, with the excepton of the D rings. Also, the Cavalry used the hooded stirrups, while the Artillery used plain iron stirrups. The D ring on the Artillery saddle was used to harness several horses together to pull field pieces. That's not the most accurate way to put it, but you get the jist of it I'm sure.

The artillery saddle was used on the near or left horses of the 6 horse hitch used to pull artillery or caissons. Three men of the gun crew rode those horses. The off or right horses had the same kind of saddles which were used to carry personal equipment. These were sometimes referred to as valise saddles. The first pair of horses were the lead team, the middle pair were the swing team and the last pair were the wheel team. The d-rings were used to attach straps from the harness to help hold the saddles in place, not to contribute to pulling the load. Usually the off or right hand saddles would not have the stirrups attached. I hope that this helps.

Dallas