M1881 helmets: Post Quartermaster and Commissary NCOs

I thought I would show the forum my two M1881 helmets. I collect items related to the Quartermaster Corps, so these are both gems in the cabinet. I got lucky and picked up both within less than a month of each other (the Commissary helmet came from the SOS). They are really in amazing condition considering their age. The only real flaw is that little brown spot on the Commissary helmet leather rim. Something tore it a bit before I bought it, but who knows when? If anyone would like more photos for reference purposes please let me know. Thanks!

post-153340-0-80790600-1426017192.jpg

• 2 months later...

I would think the commissary crescent should be on a Staff Plate like the QM helmet on the left (no crossed swords). Also,a cavalry branch helmet would have a yellow plume, not a spike.

Easily corrected, as Staff Plates aren't too tough to find.

• 3 weeks later...

KurtA, I actually already have the plate you've described. However, I have no clue whatsoever on how to switch them out. Is there any instructions available or someone competent in the marketplace that does stuff like that? I'd love to know as accuracy is important to me. To be honest, I don't think I even noticed the sabers until you mentioned them. Good eye sir!

KurtA, I actually already have the plate you've described. However, I have no clue whatsoever on how to switch them out. Is there any instructions available or someone competent in the marketplace that does stuff like that? I'd love to know as accuracy is important to me. To be honest, I don't think I even noticed the sabers until you mentioned them. Good eye sir!

There should be wires on the inside of the helmet that you just bend straight in order to pull the existing plate off. Hopefully the device on the plate shield is also attached with wires, which can also be bent straight in order to pull the device off and re-attach to the new repalcement plate. Just punch a couple of new holes in the replacement plate to do that).

One thing to consider - hopefully the wires for the new plate will go into the existing holes on the helmet. If not, you might want to attach new wires to the plate that line-up with the holes on the helmet.

• 2 weeks later...

I would note that because of a lack of standardization--and the fact that commissary sergeants belonged in every branch, it's entirely possible that a regimental commander would want his commissary sergeant to wear the branch plate to which he belonged (like in accordance with the color of his chevrons). Also, when certain plates were unavailable, Soldiers were known to be issued and wear plates that were incorrect. We get stuck on standardization and uniformity, when that is--believe it or not--a relatively new construct in militaria.

Now, on the other hand--since most of the helmets are put togethers, yes--it's possible someone just did it wrong. But you never know. I have field grade officers helmets that still have spikes that accompanied them in conjunction with the plumes from when they were company grades.

If you still need help (i.e.) you don't want to do it yourself, PM me, and I'd do it for the cost of shipping and materials.

-Wolf

Wolf,

Thank you for your insights too. Too be honest, even with the proper instructions, I think I'm too nervous to screw something up in changing plates. I think I may just leave it as-is. I appreciate your offer and for now I think it will just be on display in its current glory. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

No worries--there is some debate about Indian Scout helmets, too. While I think most accept that a staff plate is the standard, there is an argument that cavalry plates were used. Though, it's doubtful that Indian Scouts ever actually wore their helmets aside rom a few isolated examples.

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful helmets! I bet they get a lot of attention from your friends.

is there any sources of info for 19th century helmets? I had no clue the US military used spiked helmets until recently and I would like to learn a bit more about them.

Beautiful helmets! I bet they get a lot of attention from your friends.

is there any sources of info for 19th century helmets? I had no clue the US military used spiked helmets until recently and I would like to learn a bit more about them.

Roger that! I know there are more than I will share, but this will start you off in the right direct:

1. A Guide Book to U.S. Army Dress Helmet, 1872-1904 by Mark Kasal and Don Moore. Published by North Cape Publications, Inc.

2. Brass Spikes and Horsetail Plumes: A History of U.S. Army Dress Helmets, 1872-1904 by Gordon Chappell. Published by Thomas Publications.

A gentleman named Dr. John Langellier has written a few books about uniforms from this time period. He's a good guy and I've actually bought uniforms from him too. I know there are others out there. Find one of the books I've listed on Amazon and it will suggest similar titles. That could help you pick others depending on your needs and budget.

I have an M1881 helmet for sale if you'd like to discuss. It is also for a Post Quartermaster but I will say up front its not as nice as the one I have pictured. That was a lucky find on eBay!