Family requesting reissue of vets medals

PoorFarm

I'm not sure really where this post belongs. I work with a woman who's father was an officer in the Air Force in the 60s and 70s. Due to a divorce his medals and insignia ended up in the hands of a stepson. She would like to have a copy of her father's medals can she request that a set be reissued to her as the next of kin and how does she go about doing that. Is it cost prohibitive? Is she better off assembling a set on the secondary market.

From personal experience I have found if you know what he had it is easier to just buy them off the market. I've done this with my grandfathers (Army) and my father (Air Force) if you have his DD214 or happen to know what medals and ribbons he had let me know I might know someone who can help

She can submit a request to the National Military Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. She needs to submit an SF180 along with any copies of doco she has (e.g. the DD214)..if her father is still alive he will have to sign the request....if he's passed away, she should include a copy of the obituary...there's no need to buy anything - she'll be able to get all his records and medals FREE. If she needs any help, let me know, as I also have sample letters she can use.

Mark sends

Here is a photo of the late Col. Hyndman then Lt Col. He is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. Thanks to all of you who posted, his daughter is overjoyed that his medals can be reissued to the family and very grateful for your help. Larry

post-104648-0-85042800-1425619743.jpg