Actual versus real prices

rldarmstr

I started my collection of military items late in life. I concentrated on early 20th century bayonets, scabbards and edged weapons from the Krag to early WWII. Admittedly I do not have a lot of knowledge of special purpose military knives but for those edged weapons I am familiar with I think that this seller on eBay is WAY out of line. I'm speaking of the Krag Bowie Bayonet he has listed for $4,950.00. And a Collins No.18 Marine Raider Knife Numbered for $15,000.00. That's right. I didn't misplace a decimal point. He has other knives that I believe are rare but the prices seem just way too far out of the world to be realistic. What do you think? Am I naïve and out of touch?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/starsider-2006/m.html?item=321660255234&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Yes...I read that thread and had forgotten about it. I didn't realize it was the same person. A little internet investigation by this bloke would help his cause greatly, though not his pocketbook.

Hi, I am starting a collection late in life as well, at this time my only resource is ebay so I am careful, one thing I have noticed is that the prices on some things are grossly inflated. I recently saw an uncleaned jet pilot knife with a byn of a 150.00 on it it wAas dirty and the blade was in bad shape in my opinion not worth more than thirty

There's a lot of insanity on ebay right now. Just saw a used, Camillus MK1, starting price $595, w/ a Buy Now of $775. Ebay item # 181679348923. Where does this craziness stem from? SKIP

The item is in New Jersey. I don't know, did they recently legalize any formally bands products in the last election cycle? :dry:

I think it an old military thing, if it is old and military its big bucks. some of it is people that don't know and just put a high price on it because others do. The worst part is there are some that will pay that price artificially establishing a high price

Just remember, for all the overpriced items on ebay, you can still find a jewel. I did with the M4 Aerial I got just a couple of weeks ago.

Ebay = Disneyland......sniff the fairy dust and ride the train to the majic castle

Some items will bring high prices but the same Items will not sell for less at a show.There are sellers who also just list a ridicoulous buy it now and the item sits for months.Just click on the option that will list items by highest price or buy it now.

As we all know, ebay is hit or miss when selling or trying to buy. I'll list knives I'm unsure about selling at the maxed out price that I've seen them realize at auction over the last couple of years. On those examples, I don't care if they sell or not. Others, I feel like I put good prices on them, mine sit there while others that are lessor condition and higher prices move. Just doesn't make sense.

As discussed in the other thread, that particular seller is very far off base and his knives are all questionable. Check his completed listings, he sold 1 western knife when he first started breaking up the collection and hasn't sold a single piece since then with the exception of a PS3.

I wasn't knocking eBay. I know it has its good points and bad points. I have bought blades off the site from time to time but the thing that fist caught my eye was the Krag bowie bayonet that this guy has listed for $4950. I bought one some years ago, when prices were up. Mine is an excellent example and the scabbard is near absolutely perfect. I didn't pay anything near what he is asking. There is another Krag Bowie on eBay listed for $1800 which, in the condition pictured, seems to be a fair price (IMO) but it has sat there for a long time. The later WWII special forces or special purpose blades I have no experience with. I was just curious if some of those knives were really worth what he was asking.

I think this guy has plenty of time so he prices them way high waiting for somebody stupid enough to pay that price, or a new collector that doesn't know any better

• 3 months later...