Help [roughly] dating M65 jacket?

Spencer

I bought this jacket a couple years ago for more than I'd like to admit...I'm an 18 y/o collector, I was a little hasty. I bought it at Church Street Surplus in NYC (also picked up M51 trousers). However, I'm still clueless on its date. It has both original tags but it doesn't have the codes I recognize on my other M65 jackets. I have one XL-reg M65 dated 1970 (alum zippers on neck and front) in good condition from my grandpa and five Small-reg M81 camo M65's from the 80's in my collection.

I don't know the full history of the M65 so any help is appreciated. All I know is that the front zipper changed from alum to brass somewhere in the 70's.

(Click images for original size)

am6wfiSm.jpgQ2nc8WXm.jpg

These are the only tags inside the jacket.

d3ebZ49m.jpgvLLb9xmm.jpg

The neck zipper is aluminum and the front zipper is brass.

NPgqlvKm.jpgEPNaKowm.jpg

Stamp on the back of the button if it matters and the front view of the jacket; no patches.

For reference, I was using the tag on my other OG-107 M65:

orpxWOkm.jpgAlLRB32m.jpg

I was hoping if I can't date it, at least I could find out if anyone here has or has seen any jackets like this one. In my mind it looks like it was made for civilians rather than on military contract but again, I don't know all about the M65's history. All I know is that I love these jackets and I'll be on the lookout for an M43/M51 someday. :D I haven't been to any thrift stores or estate/yard sales so I save money and find something on ebay or in army navy stores to add to my collection.

Thanks for the help!

PriorityOne

1970, you can usally find it in the contract number on the size tag or on info tag. In this case the P.O. number.

Manchu Warrior

I will have to say that I have never seen that type tag before. With that said and from my experiences OD M65's always sell well so you might not have overpaid for it.

Garandomatic

Very interesting tag. Never saw a PO number on a tag before. If it is in solid shape, you should do well. I had a stone mint unissued one a while back that was similar and did very well.

Thanks, I'm checking this out now.

Very interesting tag. Never saw a PO number on a tag before. If it is in solid shape, you should do well. I had a stone mint unissued one a while back that was similar and did very well.

It has some wear on it but overall it's not terrible. No rips/tears or worn down areas; just a small stain under one of the breast pockets, missing drawcords, and the small velcro square on the collar is missing so it can't be held closed. For the time being I put 550 cord where the waist drawstring would be. I'll leave the rest as-is.

1970 makes sense for the date though, glad I can put that to rest!

I bought this jacket a couple years ago for more than I'd like to admit...I'm an 18 y/o collector, I was a little hasty. I bought it at Church Street Surplus in NYC (also picked up M51 trousers). However, I'm still clueless on its date. It has both original tags but it doesn't have the codes I recognize on my other M65 jackets. I have one XL-reg M65 dated 1970 (alum zippers on neck and front) in good condition from my grandpa and five Small-reg M81 camo M65's from the 80's in my collection.

I don't know the full history of the M65 so any help is appreciated. All I know is that the front zipper changed from alum to brass somewhere in the 70's.

(Click images for original size)

am6wfiSm.jpgQ2nc8WXm.jpg

These are the only tags inside the jacket.

d3ebZ49m.jpgvLLb9xmm.jpg

The neck zipper is aluminum and the front zipper is brass.

NPgqlvKm.jpgEPNaKowm.jpg

Stamp on the back of the button if it matters and the front view of the jacket; no patches.

For reference, I was using the tag on my other OG-107 M65:

orpxWOkm.jpgAlLRB32m.jpg

I was hoping if I can't date it, at least I could find out if anyone here has or has seen any jackets like this one. In my mind it looks like it was made for civilians rather than on military contract but again, I don't know all about the M65's history. All I know is that I love these jackets and I'll be on the lookout for an M43/M51 someday. :D I haven't been to any thrift stores or estate/yard sales so I save money and find something on ebay or in army navy stores to add to my collection.

Thanks for the help!

Intercon Apparel was a sales company of Alpha Industries, for commercial/wholesale garments, to retail outlets. This was in the early 70's, before the Alpha Brand being the main company sales mark. They used a nonexistant FSN and a P.O. for the labeling, plus that thick black bar. As Alpha used several garment shops, there were also Dobbs and Concord Industries,as sales companies also. Pick up the Alpha Story book, for more information.