SOS first look - USMC Stuff!

Bellumbill

I hope I put this in the correct place? If not moderators please move to correct thread.

A few buddies are at SOS and sent back these pics as a first look - guess they know what I'm interested in!

Very best,

Bill K.

post-661-0-18235300-1425076802.jpg

post-661-0-49704700-1425076828.jpg

blitzkrieg gsd

Did anyone get a chance to see the USMC para marine jump smock? It was od green with tan pads on the arms and tan pockets on the bottom front. It had pockets all over and what I was told was a knife pocket on the bottom left front. The back had a large pocket in the middle. I was told it was new never issued and it looked to be made out of the HBT material. It was there Thursday hanging behind a table on a rack but I didn't see it today. The price was way up there 3000.00-5000.00 I didn't see it today so it may have sold. If it did sell hope a member here got it. It's something I have never seen before and may be the coolest piece of Marine uniform I have ever seen.

It deserves it's own thread if I can figure out how to get the pics of it up I will start one.

Did anyone get a chance to see the USMC para marine jump smock? It was od green with tan pads on the arms and tan pockets on the bottom front. It had pockets all over and what I was told was a knife pocket on the bottom left front. The back had a large pocket in the middle. I was told it was new never issued and it looked to be made out of the HBT material. It was there Thursday hanging behind a table on a rack but I didn't see it today. The price was way up there 3000.00-5000.00 I didn't see it today so it may have sold. If it did sell hope a member here got it. It's something I have never seen before and may be the coolest piece of Marine uniform I have ever seen.

It deserves it's own thread if I can figure out how to get the pics of it up I will start one.

I have a first pattern smock.Mint other than the bottom was opened up.The pouch was designed for the small Western utility knife marked USMC the Para Marines carried.

Seems a buddy saw that smock last year at the show.They have sold for way less in the last year or two but the SOS is a whole diffent sales floor.

Blitzkrieg -

Wow, I hope someone from our forum grabbed that too! One that got away story - Late 1980s, early 1990s Janesville WI militaria show could have bought one for $600!

Also, Kurt and all, what ya' think about the UNIS 5th Div. Lt jacket - $3000 a bit high? No question though great looking group. As an aside, there was another Lt. in his company, HQ Co. who won a Silver Star on Iwo. Also, FYI, Woody Williams is there as one of the veteran guests!

I hope to see more pics - one of my buddies said that some guy there has a pile of SS General uniforms! Need to get back to SOS, that place is amazing - its like a museum you can touch!

Very best,

Bill K.

Blitzkrieg -

Wow, I hope someone from our forum grabbed that too! One that got away story - Late 1980s, early 1990s Janesville WI militaria show could have bought one for $600!

Also, Kurt and all, what ya' think about the UNIS 5th Div. Lt jacket - $3000 a bit high? No question though great looking group. As an aside, there was another Lt. in his company, HQ Co. who won a Silver Star on Iwo. Also, FYI, Woody Williams is there as one of the veteran guests!

I hope to see more pics - one of my buddies said that some guy there has a pile of SS General uniforms! Need to get back to SOS, that place is amazing - its like a museum you can touch!

Very best,

Bill K.

Bill

John Coy told me he bought one for $50 once at a small show held in a barn.Think it was one he had on display at his old museum.

Doyler -

Think I recall that jacket - I'm from Chicago - used to know John a little bit as a young collector. Used to go to the museum from time to time. Never knew what he paid for the jacket, wow!

Best

Bill

Doyler -

Think I recall that jacket - I'm from Chicago - used to know John a little bit as a young collector. Used to go to the museum from time to time. Never knew what he paid for the jacket, wow!

Best

Bill

Bill

John was quite a guy.Met him as a small boy and recall his cake pans ful of real nam patches in 1975.He did a few shows here fore a while.His old white van packed full.

His brother told me the story.

A friend and I went there to see the items being sold.Made him a nice offer on the para marine mannequin he had but at the time he only was intrested in selling by the display.Later found out he sold the mannequin for a 3rd of my offer.

But I did save a picture and got a few pics of his US helmets ;)

post-342-0-01050000-1425099319.jpg

Fantastic! Love the pic - when I was a kid and knew John his stuff was just way out of my league I had no money - my collecting interest were, as they say, champagne and caviar on a beer and brats budget. But loved looking at the stuff - In most cases John's collection was the first time I had seen any rare stuff in person - the USMC smock is an example.

Very best,

Bll

Bill

Sadly I never saw the museum til he passed.By then most had been sold.There was a lot of mold and mildew setting in.One end of the building had been damaged by a falling tree from a storm.They had repaired it but the wife wasnt spending money to heat the building.Was real damp in there when we visited one April.There were some single mannequins in the front for sale but these also were sold for a 3rd or more less than I offered.Seems it all went to a show in Madison and sold later .....what was left over.There was some nice original stuff and some put together but all nicely done

blitzkrieg gsd

Guys the para smock in the above pic is the same type that was at the show. The one at the show was the first one I have ever seen in person. So I was kind of in all of it when I walked by I thought it was a shooting jacket. Since my dad was a member of the USMC rifle team I have always had a thing for the jackets. So I stopped and ask and found out it was a para smock. There was also I camo Marine para smock at the show I was today. It was also pricey I'm thinking 1500.00 was on the tag for it but it didn't have all the pockets like the other one. Guess instead of taking over this thread with talk of these smocks I should start a new one. It was so interesting to me I feel now I need to find out all I can about them.

Blitz

The OD ones are not common but many were used for very short time so nice or unissued ones show up.I knew an Iwo vet who was in the 5th Mar Div and wounded there.Former para marine.He still had his but opened up the legs to make a hunting jacket out of it.

Later in the war you will see tha camo ones cut down into shirt lenght and worn.

The one for $1500 was most likely a 3rd pattern smock which is the more common of the 3 camo ones.It basically looked like a P44 camo shirt but longer and was a step in smock.In design these were intended to be an over garment and then discarded after the jump as the 2 piece camo was worn under the smock.Speculation exist to the P44 camos actually being a undersuit for the para marines but they were disbanded.I never have been able to confirm this.There was a camo snock with slanted pockets as well as a two piece suit for the para marines with slanted chest pockets as well as slanted pocket on the butt of the trousers.Alecs book "Grunt gear" shows the various smocks.

Blitzkrieg -

Very best,

Bill K.

Hi Bill K - that UNIS jacket is wonderful! What else was in the grouping for $3000? I have been to the show many years ago. Feel so far away here in the UK..! Time to start saving.. :)

Cheers, Graham

Graham -

From what I could tell you just got the jacket, a photo of the Lt. in dress khaki uniform, and one of his dog tags. $3000 too high in my opinion for that.

Long trip for you across the pond BUT I think at least one trip is well worth it.

Cheers!

Bill

Kurt Barickman

Not too high in my opinion at all. Real UNIS items are rare and Fifth Marine Division items are much rarer than most and to an officer to boot! There was his original USN/USMC Bronze Star (worth a few hundred alone) engraved with the ORIGINAL citation for the Bronze Star which he was awarded for his action on Iwo Jima and his funky theatre made fighting knife to include a scrapbook and a bunch of other named items. Yes Ron, that is Camopara in the background.

Kurt

Kurt -

Thank you for the update - I didn't know the other items were with the grouping only from what I could see from the photo. Should have kept my yap shut on the pricing. I suppose something is "worth" only or exactly what someone else is willing to pay - IF the seller didn't go home with the grouping and we know he got $3000 for it then the price was not too high! :)

Very best,

Bill K.

Did anyone on the forum buy this grouping, or know who is selling it? I would love to know more...!

Thanks! Graham

Chutesandskulls

I wish I could have seen the grouping with the jump boots. I've been looking for Marine jump boots for a while.

blitzkrieg gsd

Chutes maybe one of the guys know who the seller of that group is and will tell us. It's my bad for not getting his info I should have just in case I hit the lotto.