Mystery Knife

Luckymisclicks

Luckymisclicks

I got this knife while traveling with a group of veterans in the 80's. Thought I would make sure it wasn't some rare treasure before I went and fixed it up.

It's marked "Robeson Shuredge" and "USMC" The Pommel screws off which from what I've read means it's an older version of the Ka-Bar which works for the Robeson marking but not the aluminum hilt and what looks like plastic grip.

Obviously this thing isn't heading to a museum, I'm just very curious what it might be.

Any help very much appreciated.

post-157642-0-10688800-1424205135.jpgpost-157642-0-98212700-1424205142.jpg

more than likely someone just altered the tang and had it threaded on your knife so the aluminum cap could be put on once the leather washers were removed from the handle. It seems to me a lot of the older Robeson's often had a weak point to them and the pommel or steel disc on the top of the tank which was peeing or welded would break off rather easily.often the individual just ended up modifying the handle such as yours. This was a common practice and they used whatever materials they had on hand at the time.with a lot of time on their hands it is quite common to see a lot of the ww2 military knives modified with plastic or wooden or aluminum spacers.

As stated it is a modified knife, and in my opinion considering the overall condition, not worth trying to restore.

Only thing I'd add is that when it comes to Robeson USMC marked knives, even if it is only the blade, they didn't seem to make very many of them at all.

• 4 months later...