• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HBT

HBT
  • Members
    • Member ID: 235
  • 414 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:43 PM

I have a Bombardier group that included the vet's laminated Caterpillar Club card. I researched the bomb runs he participated on and was not able to find records of aircraft he was on going down.

Is there a way I could research how and when this vet became a member of the Caterpillar Club, or this is a needle in a haystack?

Thanks.

---Chris

Attached Images

• Wickander.jpg

#2 HBT

HBT
  • Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:44 PM

Here are his bomb runs.

Attached Images

• Wickander2.jpg

#3 DwightPruitt

DwightPruitt
  • Members
    • Member ID: 251
  • 440 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:51 PM

Wow, 12-24-44 Kirch-Gons, Germany. I was stationed there in the late 70's.

#4 KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 105
  • 12,332 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 10:03 PM

Your best bet is to try and get a copy of an " Aircraft Accident Report" if it exists for him.

These guys can help :

http://www.aviationa...src/reports.htm

Kurt

#5 ehrentitle

ehrentitle
  • Members
    • Member ID: 146
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:11 AM

These Caterpiller Club cards and pins were issued by the companies that made parachutes upon application from the individual who used them in an emergency situation. Many like Irving, who issued this card, still exist and probably have the information in their archives. Irving is now Irving Aerospace and their website is:
http://www.irvinaero...om/aboutus.html

When I was researching parachute riggers several years back I contacted the Switlik Parachute Company for some information. The owner wrote me back and indicated that they still had all of the original files with correspondence on their Caterpiller Club. As it happened former president George H. W. Bush used a Switlik parachute when he bailed out in WWII and they still had all of his application info on file.

Edited by ehrentitle, 17 July 2008 - 09:12 AM.

#6 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,223 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 09:36 AM

HBT,
That's a nice group! It is a little hard for me to clearly see his name from the documents, but I believe it is Wallace Wickander. If so, Wickander flew with the 546th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy), 384th Bomb Group. The following information is for one of his missions flown during the Battle of the Bulge. His aircraft for this mission was a B-17G aircraft number 43-38548.

MISSION SUMMARY
Mission Date 27 December 1944
384th Mission Number 244
8th Air Force Mission Number 764
Primary Target Tactical
Altenahr, Germany

CREW ROSTER
Position Crewmember Status
Pilot Gilmer, Charles E Completed, Uninjured
Copilot Edwards, Robert A Completed, Uninjured
Navigator Newmann, James H Completed, Uninjured
Bombardier Wickander, Wallace H Completed, Uninjured
Engineer/Top Turret Sainsbury, Joseph A Completed, Uninjured
Radio Operator Allessi, Vincent (NMI) Completed, Uninjured
Ball Turret Anderson, Carl E Completed, Uninjured
Flexible Gunner Drew, John E Completed, Uninjured
Tail Gunner Scarce, Jr, James Richard, Dick Completed, Uninjured

#7 316th FS 324th FG

316th FS 324th FG
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,463
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:03 AM

This is from the 384th's website:

http://384thbombgrou...?PersonKey=4249

It comfirms Beasts information.

#8 HBT

HBT
  • Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for all the help with my search. I have visited the 384th BG site before and it is very informative. Someday, I plan to go through all the pics and see if I can ID my vet in any of the images. My plan is to get nice pics of the full group and write a blog on my site.

KASTAUFFER,
Thank you for the aviation link! I will email them and see if they can help me.

Best,

Chris Hughes

#9 bigredone

bigredone
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,937
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 06:16 PM

Here's a pic of my uncle Robert Paulson and his wife Bette. On his uniform jacket you can see his Caterpillar Club pin.

Attached Images

• roberthattiepaulson2.jpg

#10 Mark M

Mark M
  • Members
    • Member ID: 569
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:22 PM

Forum members:

You are in the MEDALS & DECORATIONS "Reference Section". This area is where posts from the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83) are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the various U.S. medals and military decorations.

As time moves forward, some of these posts may have additional information added to them by the moderators of this section. We ask for your input as well, especially in the correction of any erroneous information that may have inadvertently be posted..

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the general Medals & Decorations "discussion section" (here: http://www.usmilitar.....?showforum=83). And, as needed, we will be pleased to move any new and / or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised: posting and / or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff.

Sincerely,
Chris / ADMIN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users