Rusty Sherman tank at Marine base Quanico Virginia

blackhawkdown

blackhawkdown

My son just graduated OCS Officer Candidate School at the Marine Corps base in Quantico Va. this past July 3rd 2008. While there during graduation, I saw this Sherman and some other old tank sitting near the parade grounds. I suppose they may be going to restore it some day for thr new Marine Corps museum.

I wonder why there are two barrels on the turret? Thats odd. The is a small tree growing out of the engine compartment. What can anyone tell me about them?

Dan H

post-2370-1216257653.jpg

That looks like it could be one of the Sherman Tanks with Flamethrower as used by the Flame Dragon Platoon of the HQ Co. 1st Tank Battalion in Korea. Here's a photo from their website at http://www.flamedragons.com/ which offers a book about the Flame Platoon:

flametank.jpg

Hi Dan,

The first tank is a M4A3R3 (or is it a M4A3E8 HVSS POA-CWS H5) Sherman flamethrower which was used by the USMC in WW2 and Korea,

Bryan

thats like the coolest plant pot ive ever seen would look cool at my front door lol

I hope you mean potted plant. Not planted Pot. :blink: ... :lol: ... ;)

Andrew

blackhawkdown

Thanks for the comments, its pretty neat that it is a flame thrower tank. I hope they restore it.

Dan H

i would be interested to know where it has been sitting after it was used by the USMC, a junk yard? buried? very interesting.

i would be interested to know where it has been sitting after it was used by the USMC, a junk yard? buried? very interesting.

Maybe a target practice? I didn't think about the pot lol.

Andrew

Given the construction of the Tanks, I dare they will last a very very long time before they really start to deteriote beyond saving, not the sort of thing one can tow home on a trailer, you couldnt even push the thing around the yard with any ease, great pics, whats her fate? anyone in the know?

Given the construction of the Tanks, I dare they will last a very very long time before they really start to deteriote beyond saving, not the sort of thing one can tow home on a trailer, you couldnt even push the thing around the yard with any ease, great pics, whats her fate? anyone in the know?

I have asked the authors of the Flame Platoon book if they know anything and will report back as soon as I get a reply.

you couldnt even push the thing around the yard with any ease, great pics, whats her fate? anyone in the know?

sounds like a challenge, i would definatly give it ago with my 4X4 lol

I got an email this morning from one of the authors of Flame Dragons of the Korean War, himself a Korea tank veteran:

Bob:

Thanks for your interest in our flame tanks. Really good of you to pass along the information.

I can't put my hands on it at the present time, but I do have a picture that I think you are referring to. This may be the old Sherman M4A3 flame tank that was an early prototype (before our Sherman M4A3E8s) being developed for WWII at Camp Lejeune. They found this thing nearly buried in a swamp at Lejeune.

We had heard it was headed for Quantico to be rehabbed for display at the Marine Corps Museum, but have had no later news on it.

As far as we could ascertain, that type tank never made it the Pacific and Marine Tank Battalions. Our research convinced us that flame tanks used by Marines in the Pacific where Sherman M4A3s that had only a flame gun and were not equipped with main armament of a 75mm or 105mm howitzer.

If you look at the suspension system on the one pulled from the swamp, and compare it to pictures of our Sherman M4A3E8 in our book, you will see the difference. Our suspension system was much better than those on older tanks.

The Shermans we had in Korea actually were developed in the latter part of WWII and some were on their way to Okinawa late in the war to be used in the pending invasion of Japan. The flame gun on this tank was upgraded some by the time we mounted them in Korea, but it was basically the upgraded version that would have been used in WWII, had the war not ended when it did.

jack

That's from Jack Carty who spent a year with the Flame Platoon, Headquarters Company, First Tank Battalion, First Marine Division, in Korea.

52JkRmCndle-sm.jpg

AuthCovFix.jpg

jeremiahcable

Man, there is all kind of stuff in the woods and swamps at Camp Lejeune! We used to find pineapple grenades, Garand pieces, bayonets, helmets, bits of WW2 and KW era gear all the time.

Simon Lerenfort
My son just graduated OCS Officer Candidate School at the Marine Corps base in Quantico Va. this past July 3rd 2008. While there during graduation, I saw this Sherman and some other old tank sitting near the parade grounds. I suppose they may be going to restore it some day for thr new Marine Corps museum.

I wonder why there are two barrels on the turret? Thats odd. The is a small tree growing out of the engine compartment. What can anyone tell me about them?

Dan H

Nice looking heavy metal there Dan.

btw No one else has said it so let me be first. Can I pass on my congratulations to your Son on graduating from OCS. You must be one proud Father right now.

blackhawkdown

Thanks so much for the mention of my son's OCS graduation, I am one proud Marine dad! These young men are among America's finest.

Dan H

Simon Lerenfort
Thanks so much for the mention of my son's OCS graduation, I am one proud Marine dad! These young men are among America's finest.

Dan H

Not a problem. I sure he will make a superb officer and leader.