• Please log in to reply
198 replies to this topic

#176 triggerhappyjim

triggerhappyjim
  • Members
    • Member ID: 87,246
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:47 AM

I would assume that a vest used in county would be ready for a dumpster before a Marines duty was complete. They got dirty fast and the material rips easily.

Most "combat" helmets people claim to be authentic field used examples were in reality probably no where near an actual combat zone.

Agree completely......

#177 ArchangelDM

ArchangelDM
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,861
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 01:46 AM

I would assume that a vest used in county would be ready for a dumpster before a Marines duty was complete. They got dirty fast and the material rips easily.

Most "combat" helmets people claim to be authentic field used examples were in reality probably no where near an actual combat zone.

I agree with the flak jacket quote, with rain and humidity the weight of the jacket would eventually rip and deteriorate very quickly.
Thats probably why you see very very few used in theatre jackets. Although Ive seen a nice door gunner flak jacket, being In the chopper ment being out of the environments way. Hence me seeing the door gunner jacket.

With regards to most people claiming there helmet is Theatre used and that most where never near a combat zone thats a very broad statement. That would depend on the helmet and the details that come along with the helmet/cover etc and the research done.
While used in theatre Vietnam helmets are a lot rarer than WW2 helmets used in theatre, I would say this forum has a fantastic array of Theatre used pieces

- Dean

#178 triggerhappyjim

triggerhappyjim
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:29 AM

Attached Images

• Presentación1.jpg

#179 triggerhappyjim

triggerhappyjim
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 09:31 AM

Attached Images

• Presentación1.jpg

#180 Justin

Justin
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,305
  • 10,115 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 08:24 PM

Very nice displays, where did you get the AK?

#181 triggerhappyjim

triggerhappyjim
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 07:37 AM

Denix replica weathered by me

#182 triggerhappyjim

triggerhappyjim
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:36 AM

Attached Images

• Presentación1.jpg

#183 Justin

Justin
  • Members
  • 10,115 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:38 PM

Those look really great, are they Denix as well?

#184 triggerhappyjim

triggerhappyjim
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:56 AM

Na.... Those othe ones are airsoft.....

#185 Justin

Justin
  • Members
  • 10,115 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 08:23 AM

Really nice displays, I wish I had space like you, very lucky!

#186 Nervous

Nervous
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,753
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:39 AM

Great collection and display.

#187 triggerhappyjim

triggerhappyjim
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:26 AM

Ok.....i have started to retake the Vietnam 69--70 USMC display, i was added the M55 3rd pattern vest.....(more than likey a 68 model that was sent to Okinawa, were it got the unique features of the double rope ridge and the square nylon pockets with exposed button) ......what i dont like is that the almos vest covers the ERDL green dominant fatige which i really like, yet that was how it was worn.....

I am now after a NVA rocksack, to complete the set....(some marines, under the trade, bartter or steal concept, changed the M41 for ARVN or NVA rocksacks, as they could fit more stuff....) 

Im also converting this guy form a rifleman to a M79 Grenedier.......

Attached Images

• Presentación1.jpg

#188 triggerhappyjim

triggerhappyjim
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 07:01 AM

USMC VIETNAM

Attached Images

• Presentación1.jpg

#189 triggerhappyjim

triggerhappyjim
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:51 AM

Ok.....i have started to retake the Vietnam 69--70 USMC display, i was added the M55 3rd pattern vest.....(more than likey a 68 model that was sent to Okinawa, were it got the unique features of the double rope ridge and the square nylon pockets with exposed button) ......what i dont like is that the almos vest covers the ERDL green dominant fatige which i really like, yet that was how it was worn.....

I am now after a NVA rocksack, to complete the set....(some marines, under the trade, bartter or steal concept, changed the M41 for ARVN or NVA rocksacks, as they could fit more stuff....) 

Im also converting this guy form a rifleman to a M79 Grenedier.......

On second thought-......i think this guy will remain a Rifleman.....

#190 jmd62

jmd62
  • Members
    • Member ID: 159,199
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:30 AM

Amazing collection! You've done a great job and it's fun browsing your photos. : )

#191 triggerhappyjim

triggerhappyjim
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:57 AM

Amazing collection! You've done a great job and it's fun browsing your photos. : )

Thanks..... :D

#192 dave grunt

dave grunt
  • Members
    • Member ID: 152,973
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:42 AM

THJ- I was a Marine 0311 in 1969. When I carried the 14 I had the magazine pouches upside down ( they came out easier, gravity is nice ). I also tried the grenade pouch and found if you didn't tie the leg strap they bounced uncomfortably. If you did tie the strap it rubbed you raw. I started carrying my grenades on the H-straps and bent the spoon up or used an extra canteen cover. I think I could fit 3 M-26s in the canteen pouch. I carried a gas grenade in my mask in the pouch. If we had 60 mm mortars with us every man carried an HE or Illum round. I would wrap the HE ( lighter than Illum ) in my poncho and tie it to my pistol belt above the jungle med kit between the canteens. When we arrived at our patrol area everyone would file by the mortar pit and drop off the round. When we moved out we went by the pit and picked up a round. Just a few of the things this foggy old mind can remember.  Dave "A" Co. 1/7 1st Mar DIV FEB69-FEB70

#193 jmd62

jmd62
  • Members
    • Member ID: 159,199
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:59 AM

THJ- I was a Marine 0311 in 1969. When I carried the 14 I had the magazine pouches upside down ( they came out easier, gravity is nice ). I also tried the grenade pouch and found if you didn't tie the leg strap they bounced uncomfortably. If you did tie the strap it rubbed you raw. I started carrying my grenades on the H-straps and bent the spoon up or used an extra canteen cover. I think I could fit 3 M-26s in the canteen pouch. I carried a gas grenade in my mask in the pouch. If we had 60 mm mortars with us every man carried an HE or Illum round. I would wrap the HE ( lighter than Illum ) in my poncho and tie it to my pistol belt above the jungle med kit between the canteens. When we arrived at our patrol area everyone would file by the mortar pit and drop off the round. When we moved out we went by the pit and picked up a round. Just a few of the things this foggy old mind can remember.  Dave "A" Co. 1/7 1st Mar DIV FEB69-FEB70

Great information Dave, thanks for sharing it! I never get tired of hearing first hand accounts of how things were or were done in Vietnam, or any other war for that matter. 

#194 triggerhappyjim

triggerhappyjim
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:23 AM

woowow Dave thanks so much for you anecdote...real treasure!! Thank you for your service!

Semper Fi!!!

Tell me a bit about your Uniform....? You used OD or were you issued ERDL? Did you still used the early style M55 without Pockets or did yours had the nylon pockets added?

Edited by triggerhappyjim, 12 February 2019 - 09:31 AM.

#195 triggerhappyjim

triggerhappyjim
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:30 AM

My "Little Marine" having fun with his airsoft M14..........

Attached Images

• Presentación1.jpg

#196 triggerhappyjim

triggerhappyjim
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:40 AM

Here is my Combo for the USMC 1970´s still need to find an original NVA ruck sack as im told some Mariens prefered them as they could carry more stuff in them....also might change the standrad cover for the mosquito net cover.....

Attached Images

• Presentación1.jpg

#197 Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Cap Camouflage Pattern I
  • Members
    • Member ID: 153,751
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:58 PM

Great info Dave, respect.

Cool gear Jim.

#198 dave grunt

dave grunt
  • Members
    • Member ID: 152,973
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:19 AM

I had the flack vest with pockets but picked up an Army vest in my last couple of months. They were lighter and more comfortable. I found a WWII mountain pack dated 1942 Hinson. I trashed the tubular frame and attached it to a pack board with the quick release strap. I mostly wore ERDL. On LZ Baldy or Ross I met these Army medics that gave me a wounded guys uniform ( it came from his gear in the rear not off him ). I was a spec 4 in the Americal Div. Didn't go over to well with the Marine NCO's & Officers to well. I even had the baseball hat. That didn't last long. I also was issued an airborne liner that I cut those upside down A straps off. Thanks for your comments. Dave

#199 triggerhappyjim

triggerhappyjim
  • Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:24 AM

I had the flack vest with pockets but picked up an Army vest in my last couple of months. They were lighter and more comfortable. I found a WWII mountain pack dated 1942 Hinson. I trashed the tubular frame and attached it to a pack board with the quick release strap. I mostly wore ERDL. On LZ Baldy or Ross I met these Army medics that gave me a wounded guys uniform ( it came from his gear in the rear not off him ). I was a spec 4 in the Americal Div. Didn't go over to well with the Marine NCO's & Officers to well. I even had the baseball hat. That didn't last long. I also was issued an airborne liner that I cut those upside down A straps off. Thanks for your comments. Dave

Dave thanks a lot for sharing this anecdotes with all of us.......i really apreciate them!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users