Marine raider uniform

JB4244

Hello,

Here is the dress blue uniform named to Matthew J. Cullinane Jr.

Matthew joined the Marine Corps in February 1942. He was in "A Co." 1st Marine Raider Bn. as "Runner"; We can find his name in the Raider Roster.

In July 1942, he is transferred to Co I. 3/8 2nd Marine Division as "Scout".

He participated in the battle of Guadalcanal from Nov. 4th and Nov. 12th 1942. Matthew Cullinane awarded the Purple Heart for "wounds received in action against the enemy" in Guadalcanal.

In his obituary it's mentionned that he also participated to the battle of Tarawa. But I'm not sure because he was in the HQ Co., 8th Marine, 2nd Division and I don't know if this company saw action in Tarawa ??

He died in 2011.

Regards.

post-67345-0-99741000-1423913964.jpg

post-67345-0-85125200-1423913981.jpg

post-67345-0-39824500-1423913987.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Yes that unit participated in Tarawa. Could you tell me which headquarter company; regimental or battalion?

Nice uniform and thanks for sharing.

Kurt

Thanks !

Matthew Cullinane was assigned to Hq&Serv. company, 8th Marines - Office of the Regimental Paymaster in Oct. 1943.

Regards.

• 4 months later...
cperkins510

I wonder why he was transferred from a Raider outfit to a regular marine outfit. Didn't they try to keep raiders together and paramarines together, at least until those units were dissolved in 1944?

• 3 weeks later...
DaveCullinane

Matthew J Cullinane was my husband David M Cullinane's dad.

David never saw the uniform or that WWII picture of hid dad until a friend saw it here.

David would love to know the story where it was found etc.

David can be reached at

[email protected]

blitzkrieg gsd

That's cool the family found this post and it's something they have never seen. Please if you can drop them a email and tell them what you can about there loved ones. Anytime we as collectors can give the family of these heros some info on there family we are building good karma. Plus it makes us as collectors look good and maybe will help other family members feel better about letting there family's items go to collectors.

• 2 months later...

I wonder why he was transferred from a Raider outfit to a regular marine outfit. Didn't they try to keep raiders together and paramarines together, at least until those units were dissolved in 1944?

Seeing he was wounded he may not have been sent back to the Raiders or may have been in recovery then assigned to anoth er unit as the disbanding happened.I've spoke to several vets who were stricken with serious malaria and when well enough for duty were assigned to other units.One went to fill gaps in the 5TH DIVISION as they needed experianced combat NCOs

1straidergson

Hello:

I can possibly shed some light on the question about Mr. Cullinane's service with the 1st Raiders. It appears that he was assigned to the 1st Raiders in New Samoa in April 1942. In July 1942 for what ever illness or injury he was transferred to the 8th Marines. Raider commanders, especially Edson, would not hesitate to transfer Marines for minor infractions or injuries. This was first seen in Feb 1942 when A Co of the 1st was sent to the west coast to help form the 2nd Raider Bn. Many of those Raiders were retained and served honorably in the 2nd, but some did not pass a screening and were immediately assigned to other units such as the 2nd or 8th Marines. The 1st Raiders left Guadalcanal on the 13th of October. The 8th Marines did not arrive at Guadalcanal until the 3rd of November. Many Raiders were transferred in New Caledonia after Guadalcanal due to illness, hospitalization, fatigue or improper conduct. Those who left never returned because the 1st along with the 4th Raiders were mobilizing for the campaign at New Georgia in July 1943. I was always told by a dear Raider friend that it was "Hard as hell to get into the Raiders but it sure was easy to get out." Although Cullinane would have never wore a Raider patch, I am most certain that he proudly wore a 2nd Division patch where he honorably served.

The HQ Company, 2/8 landed 0615- 1400 Nov 21, 1943 under Col. Elmer Hall at the Burns-Philp Pier on Betio Island, Tarawa, so Sgt.Cullinane was indeed there, and should also have a Bronze Star on his Pres. Unit Citation, as 2/8 got them for Guadelcanal and Tarawa. This is in the regimental history of 1976 by James Santelli.