Cleaning WWI Collar Disc

36-tex

I just purchased a numbered and lettered enlisted mans inf collar disc from wwi. It has some corrosion on it and tarnish. How would you clean it? I do not think BRASSO is the answer. I only have $3 in it, so it may be a piece to experiment on. SUGGESTIONS?

When it comes to metal insignia, I've always had good luck by giving it a good scrub with toothpaste and an old toothbrush. That usually gets the dirt & grime off, but doesn't hurt the patina or finish. For really grimy brass, a little Brasso works well. Some collectors like the items left in the as-found condition even it means being corroded and dirty. I like the stuff clean because a military man doesn't wear his insignia in a dirty condition.

Just remember, don't go overboard with any cleaning you try. Some pieces are just so bad that nothing is going to clean them up without damaging the original finish (if there is any left).

Thanks Lee! I forgot the old toothpaste treatment. I have heard that BRASSO on WWI disc is bad because it will take the black off of them, which is how they were meant to be. I will try the toothpaste and see where to go from there. Silly question: How about a little coca cola bath?

Mark,

Plain old baking soda may also work.Also the problem with brasso and other cleaners is it may leave a dried residue in the small detail areas after cleaning.Good luck,

RON

For brass or bronze first try a little ammonia applied with a Q-tip or toothbrush. This will often remove the green verdigris without risking damage by using something like Brasso which has abrasives in it. Blackened metals can be restored using various chemical products on the market, particularly those for rebluing or blackening gun parts.

Vaseline works very well also.

svt40,

Does the vaseline have any adverse effects to the black finnish since it is a petroleum based product.I am curious if it will soften or lift the finnish?Thanks for your time.

RON

Have not seen any adverse effect yet. I put it on then scrub with a tooth brush then wipe it back off with a soft cloth. Works well on medals as well. Especially zinc.

Have not seen any adverse effect yet. I put it on then scrub with a tooth brush then wipe it back off with a soft cloth. Works well on medals as well. Especially zinc.

Thaks for the reply.Great info thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

RON

I have always found these to work nicely on cleaning collar discs and medals -

Here is an example of my work on a Infantry Collar device for the M1912 Service Coat.

post-2801-1216439010.jpg

post-2801-1216439931.jpg